Is There Seasonality in the Sensex Monthly Returns?
AbstractThe presence of the seasonal or monthly effect in stock returns has been reported in several developed and emerging stock markets. This study investigates the existence of seasonality in Indias stock market. It covers the post-reform period. The study uses the monthly return data of the Bombay Stock Exchanges Sensitivity Index for the period from April 1991 to March 2002 for analysis. After examining the stationarity of the return series, we specify an augmented auto-regressive moving average model to find the monthly effect in stock returns in India. The results confirm the existence of seasonality in stock returns in India and the January effect. The findings are also consistent with the "tax-loss selling" hypothesis. The results of the study imply that the stock market in India is inefficient, and hence, investors can time their share investments to improve returns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department in its series IIMA Working Papers with number WP2002-09-08.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tinic, Seha M. & Barone-Adesi, Giovanni & West, Richard R., 1987. "Seasonality in Canadian Stock Prices: A Test of the “Tax-Loss-Selling” Hypothesis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 51-63, March.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Rao, Ramesh P & Hiraki, Takato, 1990. "Regularities in Tokyo Stock Exchange Security Returns: P/E, Size, and Seasonal Influences," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 13(3), pages 249-63, Fall.
- Tinic, Seha M. & West, Richard R., 1984. "Risk and return : Janaury vs. the rest of the year," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 561-574, December.
- Sasidharan, Anand, 2009. "Does seasonality persists in Indian stock markets?," MPRA Paper 24185, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2010.
- Dumitriu, Ramona & Stefanescu, Razvan & Nistor, Costel, 2011. "Monthly seasonality in the Bucharest stock exchange," MPRA Paper 41603, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 08 Apr 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.