Privatization in Colombia: A Plant Performance Analysis
AbstractThis paper describes the privatization program carried out in the productive sector of the Colombian economy during the 1990s. It evaluates privatization within the policy context of general market deregulation and the promotion of private investment in the provision of public infrastructure and domiciliary public services. Two case studies are explored: the manufacturing and power sectors. The paper follows the ex-post measuring and econometric analysis of a set of operative and restructuring performance indicators for the privatized firms. For manufacturing, the study sample consists of 30 large manufacturing firms of which the Instituto de Fomento Industrial was the founding or supporting partner. The main findings suggest that those firms followed pro-cyclical behavior relative to their private competitors and undertook tight plant operative restructuring. For the power sector, the paper studies the impact of regulatory reform on market entry, ownership structure, market competition, and productive efficiency of the privatized holdings. The results suggest that privatization and entry competition in power generation have had a positive effect on the privatized utilities’ efficiency and investment. With respect to thermal generation, the measurement of productive efficiency follows a data envelope analysis technique based on a sample of 33 plants that account for 85% of the installed capacity. The sample units are plants that were active before the reform and new entrants that started business operations after the reform. The main outcome shows that efficiency scores have improved after the reform and that regulatory policy has had a positive effect on productive efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department in its series Research Department Publications with number 3151.
Date of creation: Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Carlos Pombo & Manuel Ramirez, 2002. "Privatization in Colombia: a plant performance analysis," BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN 003377, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- L43 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Legal Monopolies and Regulation or Deregulation
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gutierrez, Luis H., 2003.
"Regulatory governance in the Latin American telecommunications sector,"
Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 225-240, December.
- Luis Gutierrez, 2002. "Regulatory governance in the latinamerican telecommunications sector," BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN 003447, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Estache, Antonio & Rodriguez-Pardina, Martin, 1999. "Light and lightning at the end of the public tunnel : reform of the electricity sector in the Southern Cone," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2074, The World Bank.
- Julio Cesar Alonso & Israel Fainboim Yaker & Carlos Jorge Rodriguez & Juan Benavides, 2001.
"Participación privada en proyectos de infraestructura y determinantes de los esquemas contractuales adoptados: El caso colombiano,"
Research Department Publications
3111, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Israel Fainboim Yaker & Carlos Jorge Rodríguez & Juan Benavides & Julio César Alonso, 2001. "Participación Privada en Proyectos de Infraestructura y Determinantes de los Esquemas Contractuales Adoptados: El Caso Colombiano," IDB Publications 7615, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Carlos Pombo, 1999. "Productividad industrial en Colombia: Una aplicación de números índices," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane, 1997.
"The Benefits of Privatization: Evidence from Mexico,"
NBER Working Papers
6215, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio López-De-Silanes, 1999. "The Benefits Of Privatization: Evidence From Mexico," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1193-1242, November.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio López-de-Silanes, 1997. "The Benefits of Privatization : Evidence from Mexico," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11583, The World Bank.
- Gutierrez, Luis H. & Berg, Sanford, 2000. "Telecommunications liberalization and regulatory governance: lessons from Latin America," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(10-11), pages 865-884, November.
- Mark Armstrong & Simon Cowan & John Vickers, 1994. "Regulatory Reform: Economic Analysis and British Experience," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262510790, December.
- Carlos Pombo, 2001.
"Regulatory reform in Colombia's electric utilities,"
BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN
003448, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Pombo, Carlos, 2001. "Regulatory reform in Colombia's electric utilities," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 683-711.
- David M. Newbery, 2002. "Privatization, Restructuring, and Regulation of Network Utilities," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262640481, December.
- Rodrigo Gutierrez & Pablo Serra & Ronald Fischer, 2003. "The Effects of Privatization on Firms and on Social Welfare: The Chilean Case," Research Department Publications 3150, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Dixon, R & Thirlwall, A P, 1975. "A Model of Regional Growth-Rate Differences on Kaldorian Lines," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 201-14, July.
- Daniele CHECCHI & Massimo FLORIO & Jorge CARRERA, 2004.
"Privatization discontent and its determinants: evidence from Latin America,"
Departmental Working Papers
2004-23, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Checchi, Daniele & Florio, Massimo & Carrera, Jorge, 2005. "Privatization Discontent and Its Determinants: Evidence from Latin America," IZA Discussion Papers 1587, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aarón Garavito A. & Ana María Iregui & María Teresa Ramírez G., 2012.
"Inversión Extranjera Directa en Colombia: Evolución reciente y marco normativo,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
009655, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Aarón Garavito A. & Ana María Iregui B. & María Teresa Ramírez G., 2012. "Inversión Extranjera Directa en Colombia: Evolución reciente y marco normativo," Borradores de Economia 713, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ligia Melo & Néstor Espinosa, 2005.
"Ineficiencia en la distribución de energía eléctrica: una aplicación de las funciones de distancia estocástica,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Ligia Melo B. & Nestor Espinosa, . "Ineficiencia en la Distribución de Energía Eléctrica: Una Aplicación de las Funciones de Distancia Estocástica," Borradores de Economia 321, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ligia Melo B. & Néstor Espinosa, 2004. "Ineficiencia En La Distribución De Energía Eléctrica: Una Aplicación De Las Funciones De Distancia Estocástica," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002843, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Pombo, Carlos & Taborda, Rodrigo, 2006.
"Performance and efficiency in Colombia's power distribution system: Effects of the 1994 reform,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 339-369, May.
- Carlos Pombo & Rodrigo Taborda, 2004. "Perfomance and Efficiency in Colombia's Power Distribution Sistem: Effects of the 1994 Reform," BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN 006942, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2003.
"The Truth About Privatization in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
3180, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Felipe Barrera-Osorio & Mauricio Olivera & Carlos Ospino, 2009.
"Does Society Win or Lose as a Result of Privatization? The Case of Water Sector Privatization in Colombia,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(304), pages 649-674, October.
- Mauricio Olivera & Felipe Barrera, 2007. "Does Society Win or Lose as a Result of Privatization? The Case of Water Sector Privatization in Colombia," Research Department Publications 3230, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Kabir Malik & Maureen Cropper & Alexander Limonov & Anoop Singh, 2011. "Estimating the Impact of Restructuring on Electricity Generation Efficiency: The Case of the Indian Thermal Power Sector," NBER Working Papers 17383, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mauricio Olivera & Felipe Barrera, 2007. "La sociedad gana o pierde como resultado de la privatizacion? El caso de Colombia," Research Department Publications 3231, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Isidro Hernández, 2003. "Las privatizaciones en Colombia," REVISTA APUNTES DEL CENES, UNIVERSIDAD PEDAGOGICA Y TECNOLOGICA DE COLOMBIA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luis Daniel Martinez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.