Regulatory governance in the latinamerican telecommunications sector
AbstractEmpezando con Chile a comienzos de 1980, los países de América Latina han profundizado la reforma a las telecomunicaciones para crear un entorno regulatorio que incentive la inversión privada, en particular la inversión extranjera. En este artículo, trabajo las tendencias regulatorias en el sector telecomunicaciones de 24 países latinoamericanos y del caribe durante el período 1980-1997 y construyo un índice basado en : autonomía, rendición de cuentas, claridad de las funciones y objetivos, transparencia y participación, y el tipo de mandato legal que crea el ente regulador. El índice muestra que, en promedio, la mayoría de los países llevaron a cabo fuertes reformas regulatorias en la dirección sugerida por expertos e investigadores. El índice también se correlación bien con varias variables políticas, de riesgo, económicas y de telecomunicaciones. *********************************************************************** Starting with Chile in the early 1980s, Latin American countries have pushed telecommunications reform to create regulatory environments that encourage private investment, especially foreign investment. I look at regulatory trends in telecommunications in 24 Latin American and Caribbean countries during 1980-97 and construct an index based on the following aspects: autonomy, accountability, clarity of roles and objectives, transparency and participation, and the type of legal mandate that creates a regulatory body. The index shows clearly that, in general, most countries embraced strong regulatory reforms along the lines recommended by experts and practitioners. The index also correlates well with main political, risk, economic and telecommunications variables. JEL Class: ,
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO in its series BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÓN with number 003447.
Date of creation: 02 Jul 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Telecommunications; regulation; regulatory governance and privatization;
Other versions of this item:
- Gutierrez, Luis H., 2003. "Regulatory governance in the Latin American telecommunications sector," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 225-240, December.
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
- L9 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berg, Sanford V & Foreman, R Dean, 1996. "Incentive regulation and telco performance: A primer," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 641-652, November.
- Colin Xu, Lixin & Li, Wei & Zhen-Wei Qiang, Christine, 2001.
"The Political Economy of Privatization and Competition: Cross-Country Evidence from the Telecommunications Sector,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2825, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Li, Wei & Xu, Lixin Colin, 2002. "The Political Economy of Privatization and Competition: Cross-Country Evidence from the Telecommunications Sector," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 439-462, September.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1995. "Institutions And Economic Performance: Cross-Country Tests Using Alternative Institutional Measures," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 207-227, November.
- Keefer, Philip & Knack, Stephen, 1997. "Why Don't Poor Countries Catch Up? A Cross-National Test of Institutional Explanation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 35(3), pages 590-602, July.
- Eduardo Lora, 2001.
"Structural reforms in Latin America: What has been reformed and how to measure it?,"
Research Department Publications
4287, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Lora, 2001. "Structural Reforms in Latin America: What Has Been Reformed and How to Measure It," Research Department Publications 4293, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Lora, 2001. "Structural Reforms in Latin America: What Has Been Reformed and How to Measure It," IDB Publications 39858, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Meleu, Mathieu, 2001. "Separation of powers and development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 129-145, February.
- Bitran, Eduardo & Serra, Pablo, 1998.
"Regulation of privatized utilities: The Chilean experience,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 945-962, June.
- Eduardo Bitrán & Pablo Serra, 1998. "Regulation of Privatized Utilities: The Chilean Experience," Documentos de Trabajo 32, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Tirole, J., 1993.
"The Internal Organization of Government,"
93-11, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olivier Boylaud & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2000.
"Regulation, Market Structure and Performance in Telecommunications,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
237, OECD Publishing.
- Olivier Boylaud & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2001. "Regulation, market structure and performance in telecommunications," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(1), pages 99-142.
- Witold J. Henisz, 2002. "The institutional environment for infrastructure investment," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 355-389.
- Witold J. Henisz & Bennet A. Zelner, 2001. "The Institutional Environment for Telecommunications Investment," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 123-147, 03.
- Barro, Robert J, 1996. " Democracy and Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2001.
"Liberalizing basic telecommunications : the Asian experience,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2718, The World Bank.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2002. "Liberalizing basic telecommunications : the Asian experience," HWWA Discussion Papers 163, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Levy, Brian & Spiller, Pablo T, 1994. "The Institutional Foundations of Regulatory Commitment: A Comparative Analysis of Telecommunications Regulation," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 201-46, October.
- Gutierrez, Luis Hernando, 2003. "The Effect of Endogenous Regulation on Telecommunications Expansion and Efficiency in Latin America," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 257-86, May.
- Melody, William H, 1997. "On the meaning and importance of 'independence' in telecom reform," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 195-199, April.
- Stern, Jon & Holder, Stuart, 1999. "Regulatory governance: criteria for assessing the performance of regulatory systems: An application to infrastructure industries in the developing countries of Asia," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 33-50, March.
- Jon Stern, 1994. "Economic regulation in Central and Eastern Europe 1," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(3), pages 391-398, 09.
- Kridel, Donald J & Sappington, David E M & Weisman, Dennis L, 1996. "The Effects of Incentive Regulation in the Telecommunications Industry: A Survey," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 269-306, May.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2002.
"An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2909, The World Bank.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2003. "An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 443-466, December.
- Ros, Agustin J, 1999. "Does Ownership or Competition Matter? The Effects of Telecommunications Reform on Network Expansion and Efficiency," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 65-92, January.
- Rauf Gönenç & Maria Maher & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2000.
"The Implementation and the Effects of Regulatory Reform: Past Experience and Current Issues,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
251, OECD Publishing.
- Rauf Gönenç & Maria Maher & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2001. "The Implementation and the Effects of Regulatory Reform: Past Experience and Current Issues," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(1), pages 11-98.
- Noll, Roger G., 1999. "Telecommunications Reform in Developing Countries," Working paper 527, Regulation2point0.
- Galal, Ahmed & Nauriyal, Bharat, 1995. "Regulating telecommunications in developing countries : outcomes, incentives, and commitment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1520, The World Bank.
- Tenenbaum, Bernard, 1996. "Regulation: What the prime minister needs to know," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 28-36, March.
- Gutierrez, Luis H. & Berg, Sanford, 2000. "Telecommunications liberalization and regulatory governance: lessons from Latin America," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(10-11), pages 865-884, November.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicaciones Economía).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.