Regulatory governance in the Latin American telecommunications sector
AbstractEmpezando con Chile a comienzos de 1980, los paÃses de AmÃ©rica Latina han profundizado la reforma a las telecomunicaciones para crear un entorno regulatorio que incentive la inversiÃ³n privada, en particular la inversiÃ³n extranjera. En este artÃculo, trabajo las tendencias regulatorias en el sector telecomunicaciones de 24 paÃses latinoamericanos y del caribe durante el perÃodo 1980-1997 y construyo un Ãndice basado en : autonomÃa, rendiciÃ³n de cuentas, claridad de las funciones y objetivos, transparencia y participaciÃ³n, y el tipo de mandato legal que crea el ente regulador. El Ãndice muestra que, en promedio, la mayorÃa de los paÃses llevaron a cabo fuertes reformas regulatorias en la direcciÃ³n sugerida por expertos e investigadores. El Ãndice tambiÃ©n se correlaciÃ³n bien con varias variables polÃticas, de riesgo, econÃ³micas y de telecomunicaciones. *********************************************************************** Starting with Chile in the early 1980s, Latin American countries have pushed telecommunications reform to create regulatory environments that encourage private investment, especially foreign investment. I look at regulatory trends in telecommunications in 24 Latin American and Caribbean countries during 1980-97 and construct an index based on the following aspects: autonomy, accountability, clarity of roles and objectives, transparency and participation, and the type of legal mandate that creates a regulatory body. The index shows clearly that, in general, most countries embraced strong regulatory reforms along the lines recommended by experts and practitioners. The index also correlates well with main political, risk, economic and telecommunications variables. JEL Class: ,
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Utilities Policy.
Volume (Year): 11 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30478
Other versions of this item:
- Luis Gutierrez, 2002. "Regulatory governance in the latinamerican telecommunications sector," BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN 003447, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rauf Gönenç & Maria Maher & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2001.
"The Implementation and the Effects of Regulatory Reform: Past Experience and Current Issues,"
OECD Economic Studies,
OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(1), pages 11-98.
- Rauf Gönenç & Maria Maher & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2000. "The Implementation and the Effects of Regulatory Reform: Past Experience and Current Issues," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 251, OECD Publishing.
- Ros, Agustin J, 1999. "Does Ownership or Competition Matter? The Effects of Telecommunications Reform on Network Expansion and Efficiency," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 65-92, January.
- Barro, Robert J, 1996. " Democracy and Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2003.
"An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 443-466, December.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2002. "An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2909, The World Bank.
- Levy, Brian & Spiller, Pablo T, 1994. "The Institutional Foundations of Regulatory Commitment: A Comparative Analysis of Telecommunications Regulation," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 201-46, October.
- Eduardo Lora, 2001.
"Structural reforms in Latin America: What has been reformed and how to measure it?,"
Research Department Publications
4287, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Lora, 2001. "Structural Reforms in Latin America: What Has Been Reformed and How to Measure It," Research Department Publications 4293, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Bitran, Eduardo & Serra, Pablo, 1998.
"Regulation of privatized utilities: The Chilean experience,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 945-962, June.
- Eduardo Bitrán & Pablo Serra, 1998. "Regulation of Privatized Utilities: The Chilean Experience," Documentos de Trabajo 32, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Witold J. Henisz, 2002. "The institutional environment for infrastructure investment," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 355-389.
- Tenenbaum, Bernard, 1996. "Regulation: What the prime minister needs to know," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 28-36, March.
- Jon Stern, 1994. "Economic regulation in Central and Eastern Europe 1," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(3), pages 391-398, 09.
- Noll, Roger G., 1999. "Telecommunications Reform in Developing Countries," Working paper 527, Regulation2point0.
- Witold J. Henisz & Bennet A. Zelner, 2001. "The Institutional Environment for Telecommunications Investment," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 123-147, 03.
- Keefer, Philip & Knack, Stephen, 1997. "Why Don't Poor Countries Catch Up? A Cross-National Test of Institutional Explanation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 35(3), pages 590-602, July.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2002.
"Liberalizing basic telecommunications : the Asian experience,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
163, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2001. "Liberalizing basic telecommunications : the Asian experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2718, The World Bank.
- Tirole, Jean, 1994.
"The Internal Organization of Government,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1995. "Institutions And Economic Performance: Cross-Country Tests Using Alternative Institutional Measures," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 207-227, November.
- Gutierrez, Luis H. & Berg, Sanford, 2000. "Telecommunications liberalization and regulatory governance: lessons from Latin America," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(10-11), pages 865-884, November.
- Li, Wei & Xu, Lixin Colin, 2002.
"The Political Economy of Privatization and Competition: Cross-Country Evidence from the Telecommunications Sector,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 439-462, September.
- Colin Xu, Lixin & Li, Wei & Zhen-Wei Qiang, Christine, 2001. "The Political Economy of Privatization and Competition: Cross-Country Evidence from the Telecommunications Sector," CEPR Discussion Papers 2825, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Melody, William H, 1997. "On the meaning and importance of 'independence' in telecom reform," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 195-199, April.
- Berg, Sanford V & Foreman, R Dean, 1996. "Incentive regulation and telco performance: A primer," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 641-652, November.
- Stern, Jon & Holder, Stuart, 1999. "Regulatory governance: criteria for assessing the performance of regulatory systems: An application to infrastructure industries in the developing countries of Asia," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 33-50, March.
- Olivier Boylaud & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2000.
"Regulation, Market Structure and Performance in Telecommunications,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
237, OECD Publishing.
- Olivier Boylaud & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2001. "Regulation, market structure and performance in telecommunications," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(1), pages 99-142.
- Gutierrez, Luis Hernando, 2003. "The Effect of Endogenous Regulation on Telecommunications Expansion and Efficiency in Latin America," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 257-86, May.
- Kridel, Donald J & Sappington, David E M & Weisman, Dennis L, 1996. "The Effects of Incentive Regulation in the Telecommunications Industry: A Survey," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 269-306, May.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Meleu, Mathieu, 2001. "Separation of powers and development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 129-145, February.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.