Rationality as a Barrier to Peace: Micro-evidence from Kosovo
AbstractDespite a significant expansion of the literature on conflicts and fragility of states, only a few systematic attempts have been made to link the theoretical literature on social conflicts to the available micro-level information about the people who are involved in these conflicts. We address this lacuna in the literature using a household-level data set from Kosovo. Our analysis suggests that it is individually rational for competing ethnic communities, Kosovo Albanians and Kosovo Serbs, to resist a quick agreement on a social contract to share the region’s resources.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Households in Conflict Network in its series HiCN Working Papers with number 31.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.hicn.org
conflict; individual rationality; economic deprivation; micro-evidence; Balkans; Kosovo;
Other versions of this item:
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ira N Gang & Myeong-Su Yun, 2009. "Rationality as a Barrier to Peace: Micro-evidence from Kosovo," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(2), pages 242-264, June.
- Sumon K. Bhaumik & Ira N. Gang & Myeong-Su Yun, 2008. "Rationality as a barrier to peace: Micro-evidence from Kosovo," Departmental Working Papers 200710, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Gang, Ira N. & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2007. "Rationality as a Barrier to Peace: Micro-Evidence from Kosovo," IZA Discussion Papers 2682, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- J15 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Minorities, Races, Indigenous Peoples, and Immigrants; Non-labor Discrimination
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Gang, Ira N. & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2005.
"Ethnic Conflict and Economic Disparity: Serbians and Albanians in Kosovo,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1772, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Gang, Ira N. & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2006. "Ethnic conflict and economic disparity: Serbians and Albanians in Kosovo," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 754-773, December.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ira N. Gang & Myeong-Su Yun, 2006. "Ethnic Conflict and Economic Disparity: Serbians and Albanians in Kosovo," Departmental Working Papers 200636, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Joan Esteban & Debraj Ray, 2011.
"A Model Of Ethnic Conflict,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 496-521, 06.
- Joan Mª Esteban & Debraj Ray, 2005. "A Model of Ethnic Conflict," Working Papers 253, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Joan Esteban & Debraj Ray, 2007. "A Model of Ethnic Conflict," Working Papers 313, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Joan Esteban & Debraj Ray, 2007. "A Model of Ethnic Conflict," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 701.07, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Moene, Karl Ove, 1992.
"Poverty and Landownership,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 52-64, March.
- Collier, Paul & Hoeffler, Anke, 1998. "On Economic Causes of Civil War," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 563-73, October.
- Edward Miguel & Shanker Satyanath & Ernest Sergenti, 2004. "Economic Shocks and Civil Conflict: An Instrumental Variables Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(4), pages 725-753, August.
- Hirshleifer, Jack, 1995. "Anarchy and Its Breakdown," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 26-52, February.
- Abadie, Alberto & Gardeazabal, Javier, 2001.
"The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case-Control Study for the Basque Country,"
Working Paper Series
rwp01-048, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Alberto Abadie & Javier Gardeazabal, 2001. "The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case-Control Study for the Basque Country," NBER Working Papers 8478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- T.D. Stanley & Stephen B. Jarrell, 1998. "Gender Wage Discrimination Bias? A Meta-Regression Analysis," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(4), pages 947-973.
- Mckinley, Terry & Alarcon, Diana, 1995. "The prevalence of rural poverty in Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1575-1585, September.
- Frank A. Scott & John Garen & Mark Berger, 1995. "Do health insurance and pension costs reduce the job opportunities of older workers?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 48(4), pages 775-791, July.
- Esteban, Joan & Ray, Debraj, 1999. "Conflict and Distribution," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 379-415, August.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2002.
"Why Not a Political Coase Theorem? Social Conflict, Commitment and Politics,"
NBER Working Papers
9377, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 2003. "Why not a political Coase theorem? Social conflict, commitment, and politics," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 620-652, December.
- Addison, Tony & Murshed, S. Mansoob, 2001. "From Conflict to Reconstruction: Reviving the Social Contract," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Maitra, Pushkar & Ray, Ranjan, 2003. "The effect of transfers on household expenditure patterns and poverty in South Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 23-49, June.
- Armin Falk & Ernst Fehr & Urs Fischbacher, 2003. "Reasons for Conflict: Lessons from Bargaining Experiments," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 159(1), pages 171-, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alia Aghajanian) or () The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address or () or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.