Measuring marginal values of noise disturbance from air traffic: Does the time of the day matter?
AbstractThis paper analyzes the marginal willingness to pay for changes in noise levels related to changes in the volume of flight movements at a city airport in Stockholm, Sweden,by using a choice experiment. When estimating marginal willingness to pay for different times of the day and days of the week, we find that these vary with the temporal dimensions: mornings and evenings have higher marginal values. Interestingly, a substantial proportion of the respondents prefer no changes in the current noise level. The paper concludes with a policy discussion related to incentivebased pricing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Umeå University, Department of Economics in its series Umeå Economic Studies with number 627.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Choice experiment; discrete choice; noise; airport;
Other versions of this item:
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Lampi, Elina & Martinsson, Peter, 2004. "Measuring marginal values of noise disturbance from air traffic: Does the time of the day matter?," Working Papers in Economics 125, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
- Q53 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Air Pollution; Water Pollution; Noise; Hazardous Waste; Solid Waste; Recycling
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-03-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2004-03-07 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-EXP-2004-03-07 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-RES-2004-03-07 (Resource Economics)
- NEP-URE-2004-03-07 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & B.E. Baarsma, 2001.
"The Shadow Price of Aircraft Noise Nuisance,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
01-010/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bengt Kristr�m, 1997. "Spike Models in Contingent Valuation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 1013-1023.
- Jesus Barreiro & Mercedes Sanchez & Montserrat Viladrich-Grau, 2005. "How much are people willing to pay for silence? A contingent valuation study," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(11), pages 1233-1246.
- F Alpizar & F Carlsson & P Martinsson, 2003.
"Using Choice Experiments for Non-Market Valuation,"
Economic Issues Journal Articles,
Economic Issues, vol. 8(1), pages 83-110, March.
- Alpizar, Francisco & Carlsson, Fredrik & Martinsson, Peter, 2001. "Using Choice Experiments for Non-Market Valuation," Working Papers in Economics 52, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Peter Martinsson, 2002. "Using Choice Experiments for Non-Market Valuation," EEPSEA Special and Technical Paper sp200205t2, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised May 2002.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L & Thaler, Richard H, 1990. "Experimental Tests of the Endowment Effect and the Coase Theorem," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1325-48, December.
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D., 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304, April.
- Kenneth Train, 2003.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Online economics textbooks,
SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2, Spring.
- Horowitz, John K. & McConnell, Kenneth E., 2002. "A Review of WTA/WTP Studies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 426-447, November.
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & B.E. Baarsma, 2000. "The Shadow Price of Aircraft Noise Nuisance," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-004/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kenneth E. Train, 1998. "Recreation Demand Models with Taste Differences over People," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 74(2), pages 230-239.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Ritov, Ilana & Schkade, David A, 1999. "Economic Preferences or Attitude Expressions?: An Analysis of Dollar Responses to Public Issues," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 19(1-3), pages 203-35, December.
- Greaves, Stephen & Collins, Andrew, 2007. "Disaggregate spatio-temporal assessments of population exposure to aircraft noise," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 338-347.
- Andersson, Henrik & Ögren, Mikael, 2007. "Noise Charges in Road Traffic: A Pricing Schedule Based on the Marginal Cost Principle," Working Papers 2007:15, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI), revised 17 Jun 2009.
- Andersson, Henrik & Ögren, Mikael, 2007.
"Noise charges in railway infrastructure: A pricing schedule based on the marginal cost principle,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 204-213, May.
- Andersson, Henrik & Ögren, Mikael, 2006. "Noise Charges in Railway Infrastructure: A Pricing Schedule Based on the Marginal Cost Principle," Working Papers 2006:4, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- Volker Nitsch, 2009. "Fly or Cry: Is Airport Noise Costly?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2732, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sotirios Thanos & Mark Wardman & Abigail Bristow, 2011. "Valuing Aircraft Noise: Stated Choice Experiments Reflecting Inter-Temporal Noise Changes from Airport Relocation," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 50(4), pages 559-583, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.