Bank Lending, Geographical Distance, and Credit risk: An Empirical Assessment of the Church Tower Principle
AbstractDoes the Church Tower Principle, i.e. geographical proximity between borrowing firm and lending bank, matter in credit risk management? If so, the bank might expose itself to a greater risk by lending to distant firms and should therefore respond by rationing them harder. In this paper we incorporate the Church Tower Principle in a simple theoretical model and derive implications that are empirically testable. We use data on corporate loans granted 1994 to 2000 by a leading Swedish bank and find no evidence that the principle applies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden) in its series Working Paper Series with number 144.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Economics and Business, 2005, pages 39-59.
Asymmetric information; credit rationing; duration model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-01-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2003-01-12 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-ENT-2003-01-12 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-MFD-2003-01-12 (Microfinance)
- NEP-URE-2003-01-12 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2002.
"Distance, Lending Relationships and Competition,"
2002-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2002. "Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition," CSEF Working Papers 80, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2003. "Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition," Discussion Paper 2003-123, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Altman, Edward I. & Saunders, Anthony, 1997. "Credit risk measurement: Developments over the last 20 years," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(11-12), pages 1721-1742, December.
- Jaffee, Dwight M & Modigliani, Franco, 1969. "A Theory and Test of Credit Rationing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 850-72, December.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2003.
"Distance and competition,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-121832, Tilburg University.
- Crouhy, Michel & Galai, Dan & Mark, Robert, 2001. "Prototype risk rating system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 47-95, January.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Altman, Edward I. & Suggitt, Heather J., 2000. "Default rates in the syndicated bank loan market: A mortality analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 229-253, January.
- Carling, Kenneth & Jacobson, Tor & Lindé, Jesper & Roszbach, Kasper, 2002. "Capital Charges under Basel II: Corporate Credit Risk Modelling and the Macro Economy," Working Paper Series 142, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Carling, Kenneth & Jacobson, Tor & Roszbach, Kasper, 2001. "Dormancy risk and expected profits of consumer loans," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 717-739, April.
- Boyes, William J. & Hoffman, Dennis L. & Low, Stuart A., 1989. "An econometric analysis of the bank credit scoring problem," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 3-14, January.
- Altman, Edward I., 1984. "The success of business failure prediction models : An international survey," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 171-198, June.
- Jean Bonnet & Marcus Dejardin & Sylvie Cieply, 2005.
"Financial Constraints on New Firms: Looking for Regional Disparities,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2005-37, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Jean Bonnet & Sylvie Cieply & Marcus Dejardin, 2005. "Financial constraints on new firms: looking for regional disparities," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 48(3), pages 217-246.
- Jean Bonnet & Sylvie Cieply & Marcus Dejardin, 2006. "Financial constraints on new firms: looking for regional disparities," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 200613, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Jean Bonnet & Sylvie Cieply & Marcus Dejardin, 2006. "Financial Constraints on New Firms:Looking for Regional Disparities," Working Papers halshs-00010330, HAL.
- Skuras, Dimitris & Tsegenidi, Kyriaki & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2008. "Product innovation and the decision to invest in fixed capital assets: Evidence from an SME survey in six European Union member states," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1778-1789, December.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Manuela Croci & Alberto Zazzaro, 2005.
"The geography of banking power: role of function distance,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 58(235), pages 129-167.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Manuela Croci & Alberto Zazzaro, 2005. "The geography of banking power: role of function distance," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 58(235), pages 129-167.
- Battistin, Erich & Graziano, Clara & Parigi, Bruno M., 2012. "Connections and performance in bankers’ turnover," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 470-487.
- Demetris Psaltopoulos & Sophia Stathopoulou & Dimitris Skuras, 2005. "The Location of Markets, Perceived Entrepreneurial Risk, and Start-up Capital of Micro Rural Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 147-158, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lena Löfgren).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.