Efficiency and the Provision of Open Platforms
AbstractPrivate firms may not have efficient incentives to allow third-party producers to access their platform or develop extensions for their products. Based on a two-sided market model, I discuss two reasons for why. First, a private firm may not be able to internalize all benefits from cross-group externalities arising with third-party extensions. Second, firms may have strategic incentives to shut out third-parties because it relaxes competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Industrial Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number 748.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 28 Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as Tåg, Joacim, 'Competing Platforms and Third Party Application Developers' in Communication & Strategies, 2009, pages 95-114.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Platforms; Two-sided Markets; Open versus Closed;
Other versions of this item:
- Joacim TÅG, 2009. "Competing Platforms and Third Party Application Developers," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(74), pages 95-116, 2nd quart.
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2008-07-05 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ICT-2008-07-05 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-MIC-2008-07-05 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-NET-2008-07-05 (Network Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.