The Discipline of Imports in the Light of 1992: The Case of Sweden
AbstractThe paper examines the constraint import competition imposes on the price-cost margins in Swedish manufacturing industries. It addresses two questions. Has the free trade agreement between the EC and EFTA reinforced the disciplinary effect of imports? Are there differences between imports of different origins? The results provide some support for intensified competition of the free trade agreement, even though the disciplinary effect of imports originating from the less developed countries is larger than of imports originating from the developed countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Industrial Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number 274.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Nov 1990
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Manufacturing; Trade; Imports;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caves, Richard E., 1985. "International trade and industrial organization: Problems, solved and unsolved," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 377-395, August.
- Geroski, P. A., 1982. "Simultaneous equations models of the structure-performance paradigm," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 145-158.
- Hart, P E & Morgan, Eleanor J, 1977. "Market Structure and Economic Performance in the United Kingdom," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3), pages 177-93, March.
- Jacquemin, Alexis & de Ghellinck, Elisabeth & Huveneers, Christian, 1980. "Concentration and Profitability in a Small Open Economy," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 131-44, December.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Turner, Philip P, 1980. "Import Competition and the Profitability of United Kingdom Manufacturing Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 155-66, December.
- Pugel, Thomas A, 1980. "Foreign Trade and US Market Performance," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 119-29, December.
- Urata, Shujiro, 1984. "Price-cost margins and imports in an oligopolistic market," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 139-144.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.