Foreign trade and its relation to competition and productivity in Turkish industry
AbstractThis paper examines how the reform of the trade regime in Turkey during the 1980s has affected the performance and competitiveness of the Turkish industrial sector. It was found that trade liberalization and more exposure to international competition generally benefited Turkish industry in the 1980s. But the effect of international competition appears to have been felt mainly in the private sector - especially in tradable industries. In the first half of the 1980s, international competition decreased the price-cost margin and increased the growth rate of productivity in the private sector. In the public sector, deeper trade penetration seems to have lowered the price-cost margin in the public enterprises that were above-average in capital intensity, but had no impact on productivity. Improved productivity in the public enterprises appears to be more related to changes in other areas - probably the reform of management. The paper also provides a brief background on trade and other economic reforms in Turkey in the 1980s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 604.
Date of creation: 28 Feb 1991
Date of revision:
TF054105-DONOR FUNDED OPERATION ADMINISTRATION FEE INCOME AND EXPENSE ACCOUNT; Health Monitoring&Evaluation; Economic Theory&Research; Environmental Economics&Policies; Banks&Banking Reform;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- TF0 - - - - - -
- FUN - International Economics - - - - -
- OPE - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - - - -
- ADM - General Economics and Teaching - - - - -
- FEE - International Economics - - - - -
- INC - Health, Education, and Welfare - - - - -
- AND - General Economics and Teaching - - - - -
- EXP - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - - - -
- ACC - General Economics and Teaching - - - - -
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1987.
"Measuring Market Power in U.S. Industry,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
828, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Nishimizu, Mieko & Robinson, Sherman, 1984. "Trade policies and productivity change in semi-industrialized countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 177-206.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1987.
"Inter-industry studies of structure and performance,"
1874-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1989. "Inter-industry studies of structure and performance," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 951-1009 Elsevier.
- Romer, Paul M., 1989. "What determines the rate of growth and technological change?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 279, The World Bank.
- Dani Rodrik, 1988. "Closing the Technology Gap: Does Trade Liberalization Really Help?," NBER Working Papers 2654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Kaplan, Muhittin & Aslan, Alper, 2006. "Persistence of Profitability and the Dynamics of Competition in Turkey, 1985-2004," MPRA Paper 10602, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Deb Kusum Das, 2007. "Trade Liberalization and Industrial Productivity: An Assessment of Developing Country Experiences," Working Papers id:1009, eSocialSciences.
- Arzu Akkoyunlu-Wigley & Sevinc Mihci, 2006. "Effects of the customs union with the European Union on the market structure and pricing behaviour of the Turkish manufacturing industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(20), pages 2443-2452.
- Ali Culha & Cihan Yalcin, 2005. "The Determinants of the Price-Cost Margins of the Manufacturing Firms in Turkey," Working Papers 0515, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Cihan Yalcin, 2000. "Price-Cost Margins and Trade Liberalization in Turkish Manufacturing Industry : A Panel Data Analysis," Discussion Papers 0001, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.