Entry into Local Retail Food Markets in Sweden: A Real-Options Approach
AbstractA real-options approach was used, incorporating uncertainty and irreversibility of investments, to study the number of stores entering the Swedish retail food market during the period 1994-2002. It was found that uncertainty affected the entry-decision. Entry was less frequent in highly concentrated local retail food-markets characterized by a high degree of uncertainty, whereas higher profit opportunities seem to have increased the probability of entry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HUI Research in its series HUI Working Papers with number 1.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 22 Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov, Matilda Orth and Niklas Rudholm, 'Entry into Local Retail Food Markets in Sweden: A Real-Options Approach' in Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, 2010, pages 15.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: HUI Research, Regeringsgatan 60, 103 29 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 (0)8 762 72 80
Fax: +46 (0)8 679 76 06
Web page: http://www.hui.se/
More information through EDIRC
Real options; uncertainty; retail food; entry; negative binomial regression;
Other versions of this item:
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Orth, Matilda & Rudholm, Niklas, 2005. "Entry into Local Retail Food Markets in Sweden: A Real-Options Approach," Working Papers in Economics 170, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-03-03 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2007-03-03 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2007-03-03 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-URE-2007-03-03 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McDonald, Robert & Siegel, Daniel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-27, November.
- John Sutton, 1997. "Gibrat's Legacy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 40-59, March.
- Sven-olov Daunfeldt & Niklas Rudholm & Fredrik Bergström, 2006.
"Entry into Swedish Retail and Wholesale Trade Markets,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 213-225, November.
- Daunfeldt , Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Bergström, Fredrik, 2002. "Entry into Swedish Retail- and Wholesale Trade Markets," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 599, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Bergström, Fredrik, 2005. "Entry into Swedish Retail and Wholesale Trade Markets," HUI Working Papers 2, HUI Research.
- de Juan, Rebeca, 2003. "The independent submarkets model: an application to the Spanish retail banking market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1461-1487, December.
- Asplund, Marcus & Friberg, Richard, 2002. " Food Prices and Market Structure in Sweden," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(4), pages 547-66, December.
- Fritsch, Michael & Falck, Oliver, .
"New firm formation by industry over space and time: a multi-level analysis for Germany,"
Chapters in Economics,
University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Fritsch, Michael & Falck, Oliver, 2002. "New firm formation by industry over space and time: a multi-level analysis for Germany," ERSA conference papers ersa02p486, European Regional Science Association.
- Sven-Olov Daunfeldt & Niklas Rudholm, 2009.
"Revenues as a proxy for profits: a cautionary note,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(7), pages 679-681.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas, 2006. "Revenues as a Proxy for Profits: A Cautionary Note," HUI Working Papers 5, HUI Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Nilsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.