A Dynamic Discrete Choice Model of blue Collar Worker Absenteeism in Sweden 1991
AbstractThe effect of economic variables on the probability of being absent is studied using panel data for a sample of 1,056 blue collar workers covering day-to-day data for the time period of one year (1991), in all 365,565 observations. Also, the effect of a reform in the sickness insurance on worker absenteeism is studied in some detail. Duration, state dependence and individual heterogeneity are considered. The Slutsky Condition can not be rejected for any individual in the sample and the results show strong economic incentives on worker absenteeism, although the study also shows that the sharp decrease in work absence observed after the reform can not be solely attributed to higher costs of work absence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 129.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Oct 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Panel data; sickness insurance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrén, Daniela & Granlund, David, 2010.
""Waiting for the other shoe to drop": waiting for health care and duration of sick leave,"
HUI Working Papers
40, HUI Research.
- Andrén, Daniela & Granlund, David, 2010. ""Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop": Waiting for Health Care and Duration of Sick Leave," Working Papers 2010:8, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Andrén, Daniela & Granlund, David, 2010. ""Waiting for the other shoe to drop": waiting for health care and duration of sick leave," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 814, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Bengtsson, Tommy & Scott, Kirk, 2008. "Workplace, Human Capital and Ethnic Determinants of Sickness Absence in Sweden, 1993–2001," IZA Discussion Papers 3672, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.