On the Role of Pricing Exports in a Third Currency
AbstractThe share of Swedish exports that are invoiced in U.S. dollars has doubled comparing a sample from 1968 with figures from 1993. There has been no corresponding increase in Swedish trade with the United States. This serves as motivation for our interest in price setting/invoicing in a third currency. We investigate the role of pricing in the importers', exporter's or a third currency in a simple model with pre-set prices. The firm of study is a risk neutral monopolist exporter who faces a linear demand curbe. Expected prices, quantities and profits depend on the price setting currency chosen. Also the curvature of realised profits as a function of exchange rate surprises depends on the price setting currency chosen. In an extension we discuss the role of competition from a third country in a model of Bertrand competition in differentiated goods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 128.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Sep 1996
Date of revision:
Publication status: Forthcoming in Journal of International Economics.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Invoicing; exchange rate fluctuations; pricing of exports;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
NBER Working Papers
2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-54, September.
- Donnenfeld, S. & Zilcha, I., 1989.
"Pricing Of Exports And Exchange Rate Uncertainty,"
12-89, Tel Aviv.
- Marston, Richard C., 1990. "Pricing to market in Japanese manufacturing," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 217-236, November.
- Eric O'N. Fisher, 1987.
"A model of exchange rate pass-through,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
302, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Timothy A Luehrman, 1990. "The Exchange Rate Exposure of a Global Competitor," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(2), pages 225-242, June.
- Donnenfeld, Shabtai & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1995.
"Bargaining in International Trade under Exchange-Rate Uncertainty,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 249-63, October.
- Donnenfeld, S. & Zilcha, I., 1993. "Barganing in International Trade under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Papers 13-93, Tel Aviv.
- Black, Stanley W., 1985. "International money and international monetary arrangements," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1153-1193 Elsevier.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:81:y:1977:i:1:p:77-81 is not listed on IDEAS
- Menon, Jayant, 1995. " Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 197-231, June.
- Ahtiala, Pekka & Orgler, Yair E., 1995. "The optimal pricing of exports invoiced in different currencies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 61-77, April.
- Marston, R.C., 1996. "The Effects of Industry Structure on Economic Exposure," Weiss Center Working Papers 96-3, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Robert F. Owen & Stylianos Perrakis, 1988. "An International Duopoly Model Under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 39(5), pages 1035-1060.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
- Baron, David P, 1976. "Fluctuating Exchange Rates and the Pricing of Exports," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(3), pages 425-38, September.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1988. "Exchange rates and traded goods prices," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 45-68, February.
- Magee, Stephen P & Rao, Ramesh K S, 1980. "Vehicle and Nonvehicle Currencies in International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 368-73, May.
- Richard C. Marston, 1996. "The Effects of Industry Structure on Economic Exposure," NBER Working Papers 5518, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oi, Hiroyuki & Otani, Akira & Shirota, Toyoichiro, 2004. "The Choice of Invoice Currency in International Trade: Implications for the Internationalization of the Yen," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 22(1), pages 27-63, March.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Benoît Mojon & Armand-Denis Schor, 1998. "The International Role of the Euro," Working Papers 1998-03, CEPII research center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.