Multifunctionality of agriculture: An inquiry into the complementarity between landscape preservation and food security
AbstractWithout support, the levels of agricultural public goods will fall short of the demand in high cost countries like Norway, Finland and Iceland. However, as demonstrated in this paper using Norway as a case, the current support and agricultural activity is far out of proportions from a public goods perspective. Model simulations show that at most 40% of the current support level can be defended by the public good argument. Furthermore, the present support, stimulating high production levels, is badly targeted at the public goods in question. Since agricultural land is a major component of both food security and landscape preservation, thus giving rise to a high degree of cost complementarities between the two public goods, it would be more efficient to support land extensive production techniques, than production per se.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Bergen, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 11/05.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 05 Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Institutt for økonomi, Universitetet i Bergen, Postboks 7802, 5020 Bergen, Norway
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/en
More information through EDIRC
Food security; landscape preservation; public goods; agricultural policy; numerical model.;
Other versions of this item:
- Rolf Jens Brunstad & Ivar Gaasland & Erling Vardal, 2005. "Multifunctionality of agriculture: an inquiry into the complementarity between landscape preservation and food security," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(4), pages 469-488, December.
- Brunstad, Rolf Jens & Gaasland, Ivar & Vardal, Erling, 2005. "Multifunctionality of Agriculture: An Inquiry Into the Complementarity Between Landscape Preservation and Food Security," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24470, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- Q26 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Recreational Aspects of Natural Resources
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey M. Peterson & Richard N. Boisvert & Harry de Gorter, 2002. "Environmental policies for a multifunctional agricultural sector in open economies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(4), pages 423-443, December.
- Brunstad, R.J. & Gaasland, I. & Vardal, E., 1999.
"Agricultural Production and the Optimal Level of Landscape Preservation,"
Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen
205, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Rolf Jens Brunstad & Ivar Gaasland & Erling Vårdal, 1999. "Agricultural Production and the Optimal Level of Landscape Preservation (," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(4), pages 538-546.
- Spreen, Thomas H., 2006. "Price Endogenous Mathematical Programming Models and Trade Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(02), August.
- Rigoberto A. Lopez & Farhed A. Shah & Marilyn A. Altobello, 1994. "Amenity Benefits and the Optimal Allocation of Land," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(1), pages 53-62.
- Brunstad, Rolf Jens & Gaasland, Ivar & Vardal, Erling, 1995. "Agriculture as a provider of public goods: a case study for Norway," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 39-49, October.
- Gaasland, Ivar, 2009. "Agriculture versus fish - Norway in WTO," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 393-397, August.
- Blandford, David & Brunstad, Rolf Jens & Gaasland, Ivar & Vardal, Erling, 2008.
"Optimal agricultural policy and PSE measurement: an assessment and application to Norway,"
82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK
36769, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Blandford, David & Brunstad, Rolf Jens & Gaasland, Ivar & Vårdal, Erling, 2008. "Optimal agricultural policy and PSE measurement: an assessment and application to Norway," Working Papers in Economics 12/08, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Kopainsky, Birgit & Flury, Christian & Giuliani, Gianluca, 2008. "Agriculture’s contribution to rural viability: An approach to estimate regional economic impacts of agricultural policy in Swiss case study regions," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6483, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Abler, David G., 2004. "Multifunctionality, Agricultural Policy, and Environmental Policy," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 33(1), April.
- Huber, Robert, 2008. "Economies of Scope in the Agricultural Provision of Ecosystems Services: A Swiss Case Study," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43969, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Yerushalmi, Erez, 2012. "Measuring the administrative water allocation mechanism and agricultural amenities," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 992, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Huber, Robert & Lehmann, Bernard, 2010. "Economies of Scope in the Agricultural Provision of Ecosystem Services: An Application to a High Cost Production Region," Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, vol. 59(2).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell Erik Lommerud).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.