The Impact of Worker and Establishment-level Characteristics on Male-Female Wage Differentials: Evidence from Danish Matched Employee-Employer Data
AbstractThis paper examines how the segregation of women into certain occupations, industries, establishments, and job cells impacts the gender wage differential of full-time, private sector workers in Denmark. We use matched employer and employee data that contain labor market information for the Danish population. This enables us to document, for the first time, the wage impacts of gender segregation at the level of establishment and job cell in Denmark. We estimate the wage effects of gender segregation at the above four levels through fixed effects or through controls for the proportion of females within the four structures. We find that occupation has a much larger role than industri or establishment in accounting for the gender gap in full-time private sector wages in Denmark. In addition, men and women earn different wages within job cells.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research in its series CLS Working Papers with number 01-9.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Aarhus School of Business, Prismet, Silkeborgvej 2, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Phone: +45 89 48 66 88
Fax: + 45 86 15 01 88
Web page: http://www.cls.dk
More information through EDIRC
Women and employment; Wages; Denmark;
Other versions of this item:
- Nabanita Datta Gupta & Donna S. Rothstein, 2005. "The Impact of Worker and Establishment-level Characteristics on Male-Female Wage Differentials: Evidence from Danish Matched Employee-Employer Data," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 19(1), pages 1-34, 03.
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reilly, K.T. & Wirjanto, T.S., 1998.
"Does More Mean Less? The Male/Female Wage Gap and the Proportion of Female at the Establishment Level,"
98-04, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Kevin Reilly & Tony Wirjanto, 1999. "Does More Mean Less? The Male/Female Wage Gap and the Proportion of Females at the Establishment Level," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(4), pages 906-929, August.
- Kevin T. Reilly & Tony Wirjanto, 1997. "Does More Mean Less? The Male/Female Wage Gap and the Proportion of Females at the Establishment Level," Working Papers 98001, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics, revised Sep 1997.
- Erica L. Groshen, 1991.
"The Structure of the Female/Male Wage Differential: Is It Who You Are, What You Do, or Where You Work?,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(3), pages 457-472.
- Erica L. Groshen, 1987. "The structure of the female/male wage differential: is it who you are, what you do, or where you work?," Working Paper 8708, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Elaine Sorensen, 1990. "The Crowding Hypothesis and Comparable Worth," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 25(1), pages 55-89.
- Gupta, N.D. & Oaxaca, R.L. & Smith, N., 1998. "Wage Dispersion, Public Sector Wages and the Stagnating Danish Gender Wage Gap," Papers 98-18, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Macpherson, David A & Hirsch, Barry T, 1995. "Wages and Gender Composition: Why Do Women's Jobs Pay Less?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(3), pages 426-71, July.
- Heinze, Anja & Wolf, Elke, 2006. "Gender Earnings Gap in German Firms: The Impact of Firm Characteristics and Institutions," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-20, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lausten, M., 2001.
"Gender differences in managerial compensation - Evidences from Denmark,"
01-4, Aarhus School of Business - Department of Economics.
- Lausten, Mette, 2001. "Gender Differences in Managerial Compensation - Evidences from Denmark," Working Papers 01-4, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Datta Gupta, Nabanita & Tor, Eriksson, 2005. "New workplace practices and the gender wage gap," Working Papers 04-18, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Pfeifer, Christian & Sohr, Tatjana, 2008. "Analysing the Gender Wage Gap Using Personnel Records of a Large German Company," IZA Discussion Papers 3533, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Peggy Bechara, 2012. "Gender Segregation and Gender Wage Differences during the Early Labour Market Career," Ruhr Economic Papers 0352, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Tor Eriksson & Niels Westergaard-Nielsen, 2007.
"Wage and Labor Mobility in Denmark, 1980-2000,"
NBER Working Papers
13064, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Datta Gupta, Nabanita & Eriksson, Tor, 2006. "New Workplace Practices and the Gender Wage Gap: Can the New Economy be the Great Equalizer?," IZA Discussion Papers 2038, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hellerstein, Judith K. & Neumark, David, 2005. "Using Matched Employer-Employee Data to Study Labor Market Discrimination," IZA Discussion Papers 1555, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ossi Korkeamäki & Tomi Kyyrä, 2005.
"The Gender Wage Gap and Sex Segregation in Finland,"
Finnish Economic Papers,
Finnish Economic Association, vol. 18(2), pages 57-71, Autumn.
- Ossi Korkeamäki & Tomi Kyyrä, 2003. "The Gender Wage Gap and Sex Segregation in Finland," Discussion Papers 288, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Campos-Soria, Juan Antonio & Ortega Aguaza, Bienvenido & Ropero-García, Miguel Ángel, 2010. "Diferentes patrones de segregación género y diferencia salarial entre hombres y mujeres en la hostelería/Different Patterns of Gender Segregation and Wage Gap Between Men and Women in Hospitality S," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 28, pages 197 (30 pÃ¡, Abril.
- Hensvik, Lena, 2011. "Manager impartiality? Worker-firm matching and the gender wage gap," Working Paper Series 2011:22, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Anna Lovasz, 2008. "Competition and the Gender Wage Gap: New Evidence from Linked Employer-Employee Data in Hungary 1986-2003," Budapest Working Papers on the Labour Market 0804, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Mathieu Bunel & Jean-Pascal Guironnet, 2011. "Earning Inequalities Between and Within Nests," Working Papers halshs-00868198, HAL.
- Chicha, Marie-Thérèse, 2006. "A comparative analysis of promoting pay equity : models and impacts," ILO Working Papers 399524, International Labour Organization.
- Jean-Pascal Guironnet & Matthieu Bunel, 2011. "Earning Inequalities Between and Within Nests: A Multilevel Modeling Approach Applied to the Case of France," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201118, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Heinze, Anja, 2010. "Beyond the mean gender wage gap: Decomposition of differences in wage distributions using quantile regression," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-043, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ossi Korkeamäki & Tomi Kyyrä, 2003. "Explaining Gender Wage Differentials: Findings from a Random Effects Model," Discussion Papers 320, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Chicha, Marie-Thérèse, 2006. "Analyse comparative de la mise en oeuvre du droit à l'égalité de rémunération : modèles et impacts," ILO Working Papers 392033, International Labour Organization.
- Anja Heinze & Elke Wolf, 2010. "The intra-firm gender wage gap: a new view on wage differentials based on linked employer–employee data," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 851-879, June.
- Sara de la Rica, 2007. "Segregación ocupacional y diferencias salariales por género en España: 1995-2002," Working Papers 2007-35, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helle Vinbaek Stenholt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.