Taxation of early retirement windows and delaying retirement: the French experience
AbstractThis paper investigates the e ect of the 2003 French pension reform on hiring, ring and employment rates among older workers. This reform increased the mandatory retirement age and simultaneously it set a tax levied on early retirement windows payed by rms to their older workers, to encourage them to leave their job early. We use a matching model with endogenous job destruction extended to account for a mandatory retirement age and we calibrate the model with data drawn from the French Labor Force Surveys for the years 2001 and 2002. We show that in the case of a high tax rate, delaying retirement raises job separation rates, which partially o sets its positive e ect on job nding rates. Consequently, the combination of an increase in the retirement age and a taxation on early retirement windows may have perverse e ects on the employment rate among older workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number halshs-00809758.
Date of creation: Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00809758
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
delaying retirement ; erly retirement windows ; matching models ; employment protection;
Other versions of this item:
- Messe, P.J., 2011. "Taxation of early retirement windows and delaying retirement: The French experience," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 2319-2341, September.
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
- J65 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment Insurance; Severance Pay; Plant Closings
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luc BEHAGHEL, 2007.
"La protection de l'emploi des travailleurs Âgés en France : une étude de la contribution Delalande,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 85, pages 41-80.
- Luc Behahel, 2006. "La protection de l'emploi des travailleurs âgés en France : une étude de la contribution Delalande," Research Unit Working Papers 0603, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Hakola, Tuulia & Uusitalo, Roope, 2005. "Not so voluntary retirement decisions? Evidence from a pension reform," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2121-2136, December.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1990. "Job Security Provisions and Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(3), pages 699-726, August.
- Dorn, David & Sousa-Poza, Alfonso, 2007.
"'Voluntary' and 'Involuntary' Early Retirement: An International Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2714, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Dorn & Alfonso Sousa-Poza, 2010. "'Voluntary' and 'involuntary' early retirement: an international analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 427-438.
- Hutchens, Robert, 1999. "Social Security Benefits and Employer Behavior: Evaluating Social Security Early Retirement Benefits as a Form of Unemployment Insurance," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(3), pages 659-78, August.
- repec:hal:cesptp:hal-00623282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Parsons, Donald O, 1980. "The Decline in Male Labor Force Participation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 117-34, February.
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Didier Blanchet & Thierry Debrand, 2007. "Aspiration à la retraite, santé et satisfaction au travail : une comparaison européenne," Working Papers DT1, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Feb 2007.
- Hashimoto, Masanori, 1981. "Firm-Specific Human Capital as a Shared Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 475-82, June.
- Hosios, Arthur J, 1990. "On the Efficiency of Matching and Related Models of Search and Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 279-98, April.
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & Francois Langot & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2010. "Distance to Retirement and Older Workers' Employment: The Case for Delaying the Retirement Age," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(5), pages 1034-1076, 09.
- Behaghel, Luc & Crépon, Bruno & Sédillot, Béatrice, 2008.
"The perverse effects of partial employment protection reform: The case of French older workers,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(3-4), pages 696-721, April.
- Luc Behaghel & Bruno CrÃ©pon & BÃ©atrice SÃ©dillot, 2008. "The perverse effects of partial employment protection reform: the case of French older workers," Working Papers 23397, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Roger, Muriel & Aubert, Patrick & Caroli, Eve, 2006.
"New technologies, organisation and age: firm-level evidence,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/10051, Paris Dauphine University.
- Patrick Aubert & Eve Caroli & Muriel Roger, 2006. "New technologies, organisation and age: firm-level evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(509), pages F73-F93, 02.
- Chéron, Arnaud & Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Langot, François, 2008.
"Age-Dependent Employment Protection,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3851, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hutchens, Robert, 1986. "Delayed Payment Contracts and a Firm's Propensity to Hire Older Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(4), pages 439-57, October.
- Walter Y. Oi, 1962. "Labor as a Quasi-Fixed Factor," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 538.
- Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Chéron, Arnaud & Langot, François, 2007. "Job Creation and Job Destruction over the Life Cycle: The Older Workers in the Spotlight," IZA Discussion Papers 2597, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.