A Matching Model of the Academic Publication Market
AbstractThis paper provides a dynamic analysis of the market for academic publications. Given imperfect information about journals' editorial line, authors can sometimes target a wrong journal; in turn, the editor will desk-reject their paper. An equilibrium is de ned as a situation where both editors and authors implement their optimal publication strategies, given the matching technology and the prevailing surplus sharing rule. The model can be solved for the equilibrium submission fee, desk rejection rate and ratio between the number of editors and the number of authors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series CEPN Working Papers with number halshs-00589186.
Date of creation: 28 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00589186
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Academic journals; Desk-rejection; Publishing; Matching; Imperfect information.;
Other versions of this item:
- Damien Besancenot & Kim Huynh & Radu Vranceanu, 2011. "A Matching Model of the Academic Publication Market," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 167(4), pages 708-725, December.
- Besancenot, Damien & Huynh, Kim & Vranceanu, Radu, 2010. "A Matching Model of the Academic Publication Market," ESSEC Working Papers DR 10003, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Radu Vranceanu & Damien Besancenot & Kim Huynh, 2010. "A Matching Model of the Academic Publication Market," Post-Print hal-00554710, HAL.
- Radu Vranceanu & Damien Besancenot & Kim Huyn, 2011. "A Matching Model of the Academic Publication Market," Post-Print hal-00592134, HAL.
- Besancenot, Damien & Huynh, Kim & Vranceanu, Radu, 2011. "A Matching Model of the Academic Publication Market," ESSEC Working Papers WP1104, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2011-05-14 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-SOG-2011-05-14 (Sociology of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ofer H. Azar, 2005.
"The Review Process in Economics: Is It Too Fast?,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 72(2), pages 482â491, October.
- Radu Vranceanu & Delphine Dubart & Maxime Laot, 2010.
"Une échelle de mesure de la connaissance en raisonnement économique et résultats d'une enquête menée en décembre 2009,"
- Vranceanu, Radu & Laot, Maxime & Dubart, Delphine, 2010. "Une échelle de mesure de la connaissance en raisonnement économique et résultats d'une enquête menée en décembre 2009," ESSEC Working Papers DR 10001, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Wang, Ruqu, 1997. "Competition, Wage Commitments, and Application Fees," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 124-42, January.
- Engers, Maxim & Gans, Joshua S, 1998. "Why Referees Are Not Paid (Enough)," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1341-49, December.
- Batista, Catia & Potin, Jacques, 2008. "International Specialization and the Return to Capital, 1976-2000," ESSEC Working Papers DR 08001, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Besancenot, Damien & Vranceanu, Radu, 2008.
"Can incentives for research harm research? A business schools' tale,"
The Journal of Socio-Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 1248-1265, June.
- Besancenot, Damien & Vranceanu, Radu, 2006. "Can Incentives for Research Harm Research? A Business Schools Tale," ESSEC Working Papers DR 06003, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Lee, Sam-Ho, 2009. "A theory of self-selection in a market with matching frictions: An application to delay in refereeing times in economics journals," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 344-360, October.
- Heintzelman Martin & Nocetti Diego, 2009. "Where Should we Submit our Manuscript? An Analysis of Journal Submission Strategies," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-28, September.
- Groot, Tom & Garcia-Valderrama, Teresa, 2006. "Research quality and efficiency: An analysis of assessments and management issues in Dutch economics and business research programs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 1362-1376, November.
- Faria, Joao Ricardo, 2002. "Scientific, business and political networks in academia," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 187-198, June.
- Francesc Pujol, .
"Ranking Journals Following a Matching Model Approach. An Application to Public Economics Journals,"
Faculty Working Papers
12/06, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Francesc Pujol, 2008. "Ranking Journals Following a Matching Model Approach: An Application to Public Economics Journals," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(1), pages 55-76, 02.
- Ofer H. Azar, 2005. "The Academic Review Process: How Can We Make it More Efficient?," General Economics and Teaching 0502069, EconWPA.
- Batista, Catia & Potin, Jacques, 2006. "Stages of Diversification and Capital Accumulation in an Heckscher-Ohlin World, 1975-1995," ESSEC Working Papers DR 06008, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Rajeev K. Goel & Jo�o Ricardo Faria, 2007. "Proliferation Of Academic Journals: Effects On Research Quantity And Quality," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 536-549, November.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00382585 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.