Ranking Journals Following a Matching Model Approach: An Application to Public Economics Journals
AbstractJournal rankings based on citation indexes are widely used in the economics field. This paper proposes an alternative way to rank journals based on the publishing behavior of top-ranked authors. I justify this approach by depicting the scientific publishing market as following a matching process. Compared with the citation approach, the methodology that we propose has advantages in terms of time effort to produce national and subdiscipline rankings. It also corrects the impact underestimation that the citation approach tends to produce in new and re-founded journals. This paper proposes an empirical application to the case of public economics journals. Copyright 2008 Blackwell Publishing, Inc..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Association for Public Economic Theory in its journal Journal of Public Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 10 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1097-3923
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Francesc Pujol, . "Ranking Journals Following a Matching Model Approach. An Application to Public Economics Journals," Faculty Working Papers 12/06, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
- H00 - Public Economics - - General - - - General
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2001.
"Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2003. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1346-1366, December.
- Ofer H. Azar, 2004. "Rejections and the importance of first response times," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 259-274, March.
- Richard Dusansky & Clayton J. Vernon, 1998. "Rankings of U.S. Economics Departments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 157-170, Winter.
- Scott, Loren C & Mitias, Peter M, 1996. "Trends in Rankings of Economics Departments in the U.S.: An Update," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(2), pages 378-400, April.
- Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Mamuneas, Theofanis P. & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "European economics: An analysis based on publications in the core journals," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 1150-1168, April.
- Christopher Barrett & Aliakbar Olia & Dee Von Bailey, 2000. "Subdiscipline-specific journal rankings: whither Applied Economics?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 239-252.
- Derek Leslie, 2005. "Are Delays in Academic Publishing Necessary?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 407-413, March.
- Stigler, George J & Stigler, Stephen M & Friedland, Claire, 1995. "The Journals of Economics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(2), pages 331-59, April.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:
- > Economics Profession > Ranking in Economics
- > Economics Profession > Ranking in Economics > Ranking Methodology
- Radu Vranceanu & Damien Besancenot & Kim Huynh, 2010.
"A Matching Model of the Academic Publication Market,"
- Damien Besancenot & Kim Huynh & Radu Vranceanu, 2011. "A Matching Model of the Academic Publication Market," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 167(4), pages 708-725, December.
- Besancenot, Damien & Huynh, Kim & Vranceanu, Radu, 2011. "A Matching Model of the Academic Publication Market," ESSEC Working Papers WP1104, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Radu Vranceanu & Damien Besancenot & Kim Huyn, 2011. "A Matching Model of the Academic Publication Market," Post-Print hal-00592134, HAL.
- Besancenot, Damien & Huynh, Kim & Vranceanu, Radu, 2010. "A Matching Model of the Academic Publication Market," ESSEC Working Papers DR 10003, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012.
"Ranking agricultural, environmental and natural resource economics journals: A note,"
36233, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Ranking socio-demographic journals," MPRA Paper 36803, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Ranking policy and political economic journals," MPRA Paper 36951, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Ranking the ‘Diamond Core’ economic journals: A note," MPRA Paper 36589, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Ranking accounting, banking and finance journals: A note," MPRA Paper 36166, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Ranking mainstream economics journals: A note," MPRA Paper 36198, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George Emm. Halkos & Nickolaos G. Tzeremes, 2011.
"Measuring Economic Journals' Citation Efficiency: A Data Envelopment Analysis Approach,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2011_13, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "Measuring economic journals’ citation efficiency: A data envelopment analysis approach," MPRA Paper 29893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00589186 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.