What Determines Research Output of Academic Economists?
AbstractThis paper looks at the characteristics that explain research productivity in a cross section of academic economists. From a sample of 150 economists, we obtained data on a range of human capital variables, teaching loads and research funding. The results suggest that human capital variables, particularly the grade of honours and the nature and location of the Ph.D., are especially important in explaining a quality-weighted research output measure. Teaching loads are also significant. In particular, we find that a 10 per cent increase in the number of teaching hours may reduce research output by as much as 20 per cent, whereas a 10 per cent increase in the number of grants held per year may raise output per year by as much as 15 per cent. Copyright 1999 by The Economic Society of Australia.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The Economic Society of Australia in its journal The Economic Record.
Volume (Year): 75 (1999)
Issue (Month): 230 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Central Council Administration, L.P.O. Box 2161, Hawthorn VIC 3122
Phone: 61 3 9497 4140
Fax: 61 3 9497 4140
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0249
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blakely Fender & Susan Taylor & Kimberly Burke, 2005. "Making the Big Leagues: Factors Contributing to Publication in Elite Economics Journals," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(1), pages 93-103, March.
- Issler, João Victor & Ferreira, Rachel Couto, 2004.
"Avaliando pesquisadores e departamentos de economia no Brasil a partir de citações internacionais,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
550, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Issler, João Victor & Ferreira, Rachel Couto, 2003. "Avaliando Pesquisadores e Departamentos de Economia no Brasil a partir de Citações Internacionais," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 500, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
- Faria, Joao Ricardo, 2002. "Scientific, business and political networks in academia," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 187-198, June.
- Armstrong, J. Scott, 2003.
"Discovery and communication of important marketing findings: Evidence and proposals,"
Journal of Business Research,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 69-84, January.
- JS Armstrong, 2004. "Discovery and Communication of Important Marketing Findings: Evidence and Proposals," General Economics and Teaching 0412011, EconWPA.
- Dr. Mohammad Alauddin & Professor John Foster, 2005. "Teaching Economics at the University Level: Dynamics of Parameters and Implications," Discussion Papers Series 339, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- De Witte, Kristof & Rogge, Nicky & Cherchye, Laurens & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2012.
"Economies of scope in research and teaching: a non-parametric investigation,"
2012/14, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- De Witte, Kristof & Rogge, Nicky & Cherchye, Laurens & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2013. "Economies of scope in research and teaching: A non-parametric investigation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 305-314.
- Rogge, Nicky & De Witte, Kristof, 2009.
"To publish or not to publish? On the aggregation and drivers of research performance,"
2009/42, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- De Witte, K. & Rogge, N., 2010. "To publish or not to publish? On the aggregation and drivers of research performance," Working Papers 33, Top Institute for Evidence Based Education Research.
- Joao Ricardo Faria, 2000. "The Research Output of Academic Economists in Brazil," Working Paper Series 100, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Claudia Burgio-Ficca & Hristos Doucouliagos, 2007.
"Substitution And Complementarity In The Creation And Communication Of Australian University Research ,"
Australian Economic Papers,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 170-190, 06.
- Claudia Burgio-Ficca & Hristos Doucouliagos, 2006. "Substitution and Complementarity in the Creation and Communication of Australian University Research," Economics Series 2006_19, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Faria, Joao Ricardo, 2005. "Is there a trade-off between domestic and international publications?," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 269-280, March.
- Issler, João Victor & Pillar, Tatiana Caldas de Lima Aché, 2002. "Mensurando a produção científica internacional em economia de pesquisadores e departamentos brasileiros," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 454, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.