Liberalization and Capital Accumulation in the GTAP Model
Abstract1996, July This paper explores trade policy and investment linkages in the GTAP Model. This is done under alternative steady-state closure rules linking trade to consumption, production, and investment, and emphasizing the general equilibrium nature of capital accumulation mechanisms. When policy shocks are capital friendly, induced investment may be greater than suggested by current savings rates. As a result, multiplier-type analysis can be very misleading. The importance and direction of this magnification hinges critically on the sensitivity of savings rates with respect to real returns. As illustration, we offer a numerical assessment of the Uruguay Round, highlighting such linkages.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University in its series GTAP Technical Papers with number 310.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Note: GTAP Technical Paper No. 07
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1145 Krannert Building, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1145
Phone: (765) 494-4267
Fax: 765 494-9176
Web page: http://www.gtap.agecon.purdue.edu/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francois, Joseph F. & McQueen, Matthew & Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2005. "European Union-developing country FTAs: overview and analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1545-1565, October.
- Jong Eun Lee, 2004. "The sequential issue in free trade areas: Policy implication for Korea," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 165-174.
- Hertel, Thomas, 2013. "Global Applied General Equilibrium Analysis Using the Global Trade Analysis Project Framework," Handbook of Computable General Equilibrium Modeling, Elsevier.
- Wainio, John & Gehlhar, Mark J. & Dyck, John H., 2011. "Selected Trade Agreements and Implications for U.S. Agriculture," Economic Research Report 102754, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- J. Francois & H. van Meijl & F. van Tongeren, 2003.
"Trade Liberalization and Developing Countries under the Doha Round,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
03-060/2, Tinbergen Institute, revised 30 Aug 2003.
- Francois, Joseph & van Meijl, Hans & van Tongeren, Frank, 2003. "Trade Liberalization and Developing Countries Under the Doha Round," CEPR Discussion Papers 4032, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tom Achterbosch & Hakim Ben Hammouda & Patrick Osakwe & Frank van Tongeren, 2004.
"Trade liberalisation under the Doha Development Agenda Options and consequences for Africa,"
- Achterbosch, Thom J. & ben Hammouda, H. & Osakwe, Patrick N. & van Tongeren, Frank W., 2004. "Trade Liberalisation Under The Doha Development Agenda; Options And Consequences For Africa," Report Series 29104, Agricultural Economics Research Institute.
- Álvarez-Martínez, María Teresa & Polo, Clemente, 2012. "A general equilibrium assessment of external and domestic shocks in Spain," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2486-2493.
- Walmsley, Terrie, 1998.
"Long Run Simulations With GTAP: Illustrative Results from APEC Trade Liberalisation,"
GTAP Technical Papers
312, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Terrie Walmsley, 1998. "LONG-RUN SIMULATIONS WITH GTAP: Illustrative Results from APEC Trade Liberalisation," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-70, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Joseph F. Francois & Olga Pindyuk & Julia Woerz, 2008.
"Trade Effects of Services Trade Liberalization in the EU,"
FIW Research Reports series
- Joseph Francois & Olga Pindyuk & Julia Woerz, 2008. "Trade Effects of Services Trade Liberalization in the EU," IIDE Discussion Papers 20080801, Institue for International and Development Economics.
- Nakgyoon Choi, 2010. "General Equilibrium Analysis of DDA Trade Liberalization : Assessment of Alternative Scenarios," Trade Working Papers 23109, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- ABE Kazutomo, 2007. "Assessing the Economic Impacts of Free Trade Agreements: A Computable Equilibrium Model Approach," Discussion papers 07053, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeremy Douglas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.