The Uruguay Round: A Global General Equilibrium Assessment
AbstractIn this paper we provide an economic assessment of the Uruguay Round agreements on tariffs, textiles and clothing, and agriculture, highlighting scale economies, imperfect competition, and dynamic linkages between trade, incomes, and investment. We present estimates of the welfare effects of the individual agreements and their overall impact on different regions in the world. We also provide a decomposition of estimates with respect to various assumptions about model structure. The inclusion of imperfect competition, scale economies, and capital accumulation effects proves to be important, not least for developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1067.
Date of creation: Nov 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peter Walkenhorst, 2004. "Liberalising Trade in Textiles and Clothing: A Survey of Quantitative Studies," International Trade 0401007, EconWPA.
- Spinanger, Dean, 1997. "The WTO after the Singapore ministerial: Much to do about what?," Kiel Discussion Papers 304, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Bou�t, Antoine, 2006. "What can the poor expect from trade liberalization?: opening the "black box" of trade modeling," MTID discussion papers 93, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Warr, Peter G. & Ahammad, Helal, 1996.
"Food Aid, Food Policy and the Uruguay Round: Implications for Bangladesh,"
1996 Conference (40th), February 11-16, 1996, Melbourne, Australia
149714, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Warr, Peter G. & Ahammad, Helal, 1997. "Food aid, food policy and the Uruguay round: implications for Bangladesh," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 169-185, January.
- Peter G. Warr & Helal Ahammad, 1996. "Food Aid, Food Policy and the Uruguay Round: Implications for Bangladesh," Trade and Development 96/3, Australian National University, Department of Economics.
- Peter G. Warr & Helal Ahammad, 1996. "Food Aid, Food Policy And The Uruguay Round: Implications For Bangladesh," Departmental Working Papers 1996-03, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Serrano Martínez Lorenzo & Pastor Monsálvez José Manuel, 2009.
"European Integration and Inequality among Countries: a Lifecycle income Analysis,"
201050, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- José M. Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2012. "European Integration and Inequality among Countries: A Lifecycle Income Analysis," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 186-199, 02.
- Pastor Monsálvez, José M. & Serrano, Lorenzo, 2009. "European integration and inequality among countries: a lifecycle income analysis," MPRA Paper 18510, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jose M. Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2011. "European integration and inequality among countries: a lifecycle income analysis," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1424, European Regional Science Association.
- Seyoum, Belay, 2007. "Trade liberalization and patterns of strategic adjustment in the US textiles and clothing industry," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 109-135, February.
- Warwick J McKibbin & K K Tang, 1998.
"The Global Economic Impacts of Trade and Financial Reform in China,"
Departmental Working Papers
1998-08, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics, revised Sep 1998.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & K. K. Tang, 2000. "Trade and Financial Reform in China: Impacts on the World Economy," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(8), pages 979-1003, 08.
- Anderson, Kym, 1995.
"Agricultural Competitiveness After the Uruguay Round,"
Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 63(03), December.
- Anderson, Kym, 1995. "Agricultural Competitiveness After the Uruguay Round," 1995 Conference (39th), February 14-16, 1995, Perth, Australia 148786, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Faehn, Taran & Grunfeld, Leo A., 1999. "Recent Leaps Towards Free Trade: The Impact on Norwegian Industry and Trade Patterns," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 715-745, November.
- Chaponnière, Jean-Raphaël & Cling, Jean-Pierre & Marouani, Mohamed Ali, 2004.
"Les conséquences pour les pays en développement de la suppression des quotas dans le textile-habillement : le cas de la Tunisie,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/4443, Paris Dauphine University.
- Jean-Raphael Chaponniere & Jean-Pierre Cling & Mohamed Ali Marouani, 2004. "Les conséquences pour les pays en développement de la suppression des quotas dans le textile habillement : le cas de la Tunisie," Working Papers DT/2004/16, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation), revised Dec 2004.
- Haaparanta, Pertti, 1998. "Regional concentration, trade, and welfare," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 445-463, July.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Bach, Christian F. & Dimaranan, Betina & Martin, Will, 1996. "Growth, globalization, and gains from the Uruguay Round," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1614, The World Bank.
- Robert W. McGee & Yeomin Yoon, 1998. "Korea and the World Trade Organization: Problems and Prospects," International Trade 9805006, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.