European Integration and Inequality among Countries: a Lifecycle income Analysis
AbstractIn this working paper we analyze the effects of the expansions of the European Union on inequality using an approach based on individuals lifecycle incomes. Such an approach allows us to consider the effect of different national growth and survival rates on inequality. It differs from the usual analyses of inequality that focus on the evolution of current per capita income for the period. The results show that inequality in terms of permanent income was substantially less than in current per capita income at the time of all the expansions except those of the last ten years. The results point to the key role of policies that stimulate growth in the less developed countries. With an annual b-convergence of 2% in current income, inequality in permanent income would be one third lower.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation in its series Working Papers with number 201050.
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Permanent income; inequality; European Union.;
Other versions of this item:
- José M. Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2012. "European Integration and Inequality among Countries: A Lifecycle Income Analysis," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 186-199, 02.
- Jose M. Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2011. "European integration and inequality among countries: a lifecycle income analysis," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1424, European Regional Science Association.
- Pastor Monsálvez, José M. & Serrano, Lorenzo, 2009. "European integration and inequality among countries: a lifecycle income analysis," MPRA Paper 18510, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaitila, Ville, 2003. "Convergence of Real GDP per Capita in the EU15 area: How do the Accession Countries Fit in ?," Discussion Papers 865, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Johan & Torstensson, Rasha, 1995.
"Growth Effects of European Integration,"
Working Paper Series
439, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Magnus Henrekson & Johan Torstensson & Rasha Torstensson,, . "Growth Effects of European Integration," Discussion Papers 96/1, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Rasha, 1996. "Growth Effects of European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1465, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2005.
"The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 277-291, March.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2003. "The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality," NBER Working Papers 9765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ville Kaitila, 2004. "Convergence of real GDP per capita in the EU15. How do the Accession Countries fit in?," Economics Working Papers 025, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Gasiorek, Michael & Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J., 1992. "`1992': Trade and Welfare; A General Equilibrium Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 672, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- T. Paul Schultz, 1998.
"Inequality in the Distribution of Personal Income in the World: How it is Changing and Why,"
784, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- T. Paul Schultz, 1998. "Inequality in the distribution of personal income in the world: How it is changing and why," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 307-344.
- Schultz, T.P., 1998. "Inequality in the Distribution of Personal Income in the World: How It Is Changing and Why," Papers 784, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- MacDonald, James M, 1994. "Does Import Competition Force Efficient Production?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(4), pages 721-27, November.
- Cappelen, A. & Castellacci, F. & Fagerberg, J. & Verspagen, B, 2003.
"The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Convergence in the European Union,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-18029, Maastricht University.
- Aadne Cappelen & Fulvio Castellacci & Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2003. "The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Convergence in the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41, pages 621-644, 09.
- Ranjpour Reza & Karimi Takanlou Zahra, 2008. "Evaluation of the Income Convergence Hypothesis in Ten New Members of the European Union. A Panel Unit Root Approach," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 55(2), pages 157-166, June.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2009. "Effects of European integration on Austria's economy," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 23(1), pages 19-40.
- Joaquin Maudos & Jose Pastor & Lorenzo Seranno, 1999. "Economic integration, efficiency and economic growth: the European Union experience," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 6(6), pages 389-392.
- M-super-a Jes�s Delgado-Rodríguez & Inmaculada �lvarez-Ayuso, 2008. "Economic Growth and Convergence of EU Member States: An Empirical Investigation," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 486-497, 08.
- Richard Harris, 1983.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition,"
524, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Harris, Richard, 1984. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1016-32, December.
- Costas Megir & Danny Quah, 1996. "Regional Convergence Clusters Across Europe," CEP Discussion Papers dp0274, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Cem Ertur & Wilfried Koch, 2006. "Regional disparities in the European Union and the enlargement process: an exploratory spatial data analysis, 1995–2000," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 723-765, December.
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Regional convergence clusters across Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 951-958, April.
- Guldager, Peter, 1997. "Convergence of the EU Member States towards the EMU requirements, 1986 to 1993," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 247-259, May.
- Francois, Joseph & McDonald, Brad & Nordström, Håkan, 1994. "The Uruguay Round: A Global General Equilibrium Assessment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1067, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daniel Leigh & Abdul Abiad & Ashoka Mody, 2007. "International Finance and Income Convergence: Europe is Different," IMF Working Papers 07/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Quah, Danny, 1996. "Regional Convergence Clusters Across Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1286, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- José M. Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2008. "Permanent Income, Convergence And Inequality Among Countries," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(1), pages 105-115, 03.
- Dowrick, Steve & Dunlop, Yvonne & Quiggin, John, 2003. "Social indicators and comparisons of living standards," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 501-529, April.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1986.
"Life Cycle, Individual Thrift, and the Wealth of Nations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 297-313, June.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1985. "Life Cycle, Individual Thrift and the Wealth of Nations," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 1985-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.