The performance of the European Stock Markets: a time-varying Sharpe ratio approach
AbstractThis article studies the performance of the national stock markets of sixteen European countries (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden Switzerland and United Kingdom), using daily data covering the period between 2nd January 2001 and 30th May 2009. Daily expected returns, and the conditional volatility of each index, were calculated using a model combining the market model and an implicit long-term relation between the index prices. Finally, time-varying (conditional) Sharpe ratios were calculated for each index. These were used as the basis for a statistical comparison of the performance of the stock indexes of this group of countries, throughout different sub periods corresponding to different conditions (of expansion and depression) in the stock markets.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra in its series GEMF Working Papers with number 2009-16.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in European Journal of Finance 16(7): 727-741, 2010.
expected return; Sharpe ratio; market model; conditional volatility;
Other versions of this item:
- Jose Soares da Fonseca, 2010. "The performance of the European stock markets: a time-varying Sharpe ratio approach," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(7), pages 727-741.
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony J. Richards, 1996. "Comovements in National Stock Market Returns," IMF Working Papers 96/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Common stochastic trends in international stock markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-124, February.
- Jacob Boudoukh & Matthew Richardson & Robert F. Whitelaw, 1997. "Nonlinearities in the Relation Between the Equity Risk Premium and the Term Structure," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(3), pages 371-385, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.