HIV/AIDs and food and nutrition security
Abstract"The HIV/AIDs pandemic is a global crisis with consequences that will be felt for decades to come. Thirty-nine million people are currently infected with the virus, including more than 25 million from Sub-Saharan Africa. Many millions are affected in different ways. The ability of households and communities to ensure their own food and nutrition security is increasingly being threatened. With the most detailed evidence base yet assembled, this review systematically maps our growing knowledge of the interactions between HIV/AIDS and food and nutrition security, pointing to where and how future policy needs to change to remain relevant and effective." "Authors' Abstract
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series Food policy reviews with number 7.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
AIDS (Disease) ; HIV infections ; Nutrition Evaluation ; Nutrition policy ; Food Safety measures ; World health ;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-07-03 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gebreselassie, Kidist & Wesseler, Justus & van Ierland, Ekko C., 2007. "The Effect of HIV/AIDS Driven Labor Organization on Agrobiodiversity: an Empirical Study in Ethiopia," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7929, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Binswanger, Hans P., 2006. "Food and Agricultural Policy to Mitigate The Impact of HIV/AIDS," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25268, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gebreselassie, Kidist & Price, Lisa & Wesseler, Justus & van Ierland, Ekko, 2008. "Impacts of HIV/AIDS on labour allocation and agrobiodiversity depend on the stage of the epidemic: case studies in Ethiopia," MPRA Paper 25608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gandhi, B. Valentine Joseph & Bantilan, M. Cynthia Serquina & Parthasarathy, Devanathan, 2008.
"Livelihood Risk from HIV in Semi-Arid Tropics of Rural Andhra Pradesh,"
Working Paper Series
RP2008/49, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gandhi, B. Valentine Joseph & Bantilan, M. Cynthia Serquina & Parthasarathy, Devanathan, 2008. "Livelihood Risk from HIV in Semi-Arid Tropics of Rural Andhra Pradesh," MPRA Paper 8685, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wiesmann, Doris, 2006. "A global hunger index: measurement concept, ranking of countries, and trends," FCND discussion papers 212, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Michael P. Cameron, 2007. "HIV/AIDS in Rural Northeast Thailand: Narratives of the Impacts of HIV/AIDS on Individuals and Households," Working Papers in Economics 07/07, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Behrman, Julia & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & Quisumbing, Agnes, 2011. "The gender implications of large-scale land deals:," IFPRI discussion papers 1056, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Frankenberger, Timothy R. & Nelson, Suzanne, 2011. "Ex-post impact assessment review of the Regional Network on AIDS, Livelihoods, and Food Security (RENEWAL):," Impact assessments 33, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- T. S. Jayne & Marcela Villarreal & Prabhu Pingali & Günter Hemrich, 2005.
"HIV/AIDS and the Agricultural Sector: Implications for Policy in Eastern and Southern Africa,"
The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 2(2), pages 158-181.
- Jayne, Thomas S. & Villarrea, Marcela & Pingali, Prabhu L. & Hemrich, Gunter, 2005. "HIV/AIDS and the Agricultural Sector: Implications for Policy in Eastern and Southern Africa," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 2(2).
- Chapoto, Antony & Kirimi, Lilian & Kadiyala, Suneetha, 2012. "Poverty and Prime-Age Mortality in Eastern and Southern Africa: Evidence from Zambia and Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1839-1853.
- World Bank, 2006. "Repositioning Nutrition as Central to Development : A Strategy for Large Scale Action," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7409, March.
- Banda-Nyirenda, D. & Hâ¿sken, S.M.C. & Kaunda, W., 2009. "Impact of nutrition and fish supplementation on the response to anti retroviral therapy, Zambia: a literature review," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 38680, October.
- Donovan, Cynthia & Bailey, Linda & Mpyisi, Edson & Weber, Michael T., 2003. "Prime-Age Adult Morbidity and Mortality in Rural Rwanda: Effects on Household Income, Agricultural Production, and Food Security Strategies," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 55387, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Lambrou, Yianna & Laub, Regina, 2006. "Gender, Local Knowledge, and Lessons Learnt in Documenting and Conserving Agrobiodiversity," Working Paper Series RP2006/69, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Stuart Gillespie & Paul Jere & John Msuya & Scott Drimie, 2009. "Food prices and the HIV response: findings from rapid regional assessments in eastern and southern Africa in 2008[InlineMediaObject not available: see fulltext.][InlineMediaObject not available: see f," The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 261-269, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.