Demand shocks and economic fluctuations
AbstractThis paper studies conditions under which demand-side shocks can generate realistic business cycles in RBC models. Although highly persistent demand shocks are necessary for generating procyclical investment, variable capacity utilization and habit formation can reduce the required degree of persistence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its series Working Papers with number 2006-011.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Economics Letters, March 2006, 90(3), pp. 373-83
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2006-04-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2006-04-01 (Business Economics)
- NEP-DGE-2006-04-01 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2006-04-01 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benhabib, Jess & Wen, Yi, 2004.
"Indeterminacy, aggregate demand, and the real business cycle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 503-530, April.
- Benhabib, Jess & Wen, Yi, 2001. "Indeterminacy, Aggregate Demand, and the Real Business Cycle," Working Papers 01-09r, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Hall, Robert E, 1997.
"Macroeconomic Fluctuations and the Allocation of Time,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages S223-50, January.
- Robert E. Hall, 1998. "Macroeconomic Fluctuations and the Allocation of Time," NBER Working Papers 5933, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Jonas Fisher, 2003.
"Fiscal Shocks and Their Consequences,"
NBER Working Papers
9772, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wayne E. Ferson & George M. Constantinides, 1992.
"Habit Persistence and Durability in Aggregate Consumption: Empirical Tests,"
NBER Working Papers
3631, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ferson, Wayne E. & Constantinides, George M., 1991. "Habit persistence and durability in aggregate consumption: Empirical tests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 199-240, October.
- Wen, Yi, 2002.
"What Does It Take to Explain Procyclical Productivity,"
02-14, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Wen Yi, 2004. "What Does It Take to Explain Procyclical Productivity?," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-40, June.
- Weder, Mark, 2001.
"The Great Demand Depression,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3067, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:wop:humbsf:2001-53 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wen, Yi, 2001. "Demand-Driven Business Cycles: Explaining Domestic and International Comovements," Working Papers 01-18, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Wen, Yi, 2002. "Fickle Consumers versus Random Technology: Explaining Domestic and International Comovements," Working Papers 02-01, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1991. "Productive externalities and business cycles," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 53, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Nakajima, Tomoyuki, 2005. "A business cycle model with variable capacity utilization and demand disturbances," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 1331-1360, July.
- Andrea Colciago & Federico Etro, 2007.
"Real Business Cycles with Cournot Competition and Endogenous Entry,"
135, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2008.
- Colciago, Andrea & Etro, Federico, 2010. "Real business cycles with Cournot competition and endogenous entry," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1101-1117, December.
- Colciago, Andrea & Etro, Federico, 2007. "Real Business Cycles with Cournot Competition and Endogenous Entry," MPRA Paper 7326, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 25 Feb 2008.
- Lester, Robert & Pries, Michael & Sims, Eric, 2014. "Volatility and welfare," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 17-36.
- Yi Wen, 2008. "Inventories, liquidity, and the macroeconomy," Working Papers 2008-045, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Addessi, William & Busato, Francesco, 2011. "Preference shifts between consumption goods and sectoral changes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 213-216, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.