A utility-based welfare criterion in a model with endogenous capital accumulation
AbstractThis paper extends the utility-based welfare criterion developed by Rotemberg and Woodford (1997) and Woodford (2003) to a model with endogenous capital accumulation. The welfare criterion obtained for this model shares several features with the corresponding expressions that have been derived in simpler models without capital accumulation. In particular, a criterion can be specified such that welfare losses depend solely on quadratic functions of the model's variables, thus confirming that policy should be oriented toward stabilization of macroeconomic aggregates, rather than toward attaining particular levels of those aggregates. That said, an important difference that obtains in this case is that the composition of output directly affects welfare in the endogenous-capital model--a result that is not present in standard treatments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) in its series Finance and Economics Discussion Series with number 2003-66.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neiss, Katharine S. & Nelson, Edward, 2003.
"The Real-Interest-Rate Gap As An Inflation Indicator,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 239-262, April.
- Neiss, Katharine & Nelson, Edward, 2001. "The Real Interest rate Gap as an Inflation Indicator," CEPR Discussion Papers 2848, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Katharine S. Neiss and Edward Nelson, 2001. "The Real Interest Rate Gap as an Inflation Indicator," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 145, Society for Computational Economics.
- Katharine S. Neiss & Edward Nelson, 2001. "The real interest rate gap as an inflation indicator," Bank of England working papers 130, Bank of England.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Michael Woodford, 2001. "The Taylor Rule and Optimal Monetary Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 232-237, May.
- Paustian, Matthias & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2012. "How relevant are nominal contracting schemes for monetary policy?," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 723-740.
- Matthias Paustian, 2004. "Can Wage and Price Stickiness Account for Sizeable Costs of Business Cycle Fluctuations?," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse18_2004, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Yuki Teranishi, 2013.
"Financial Stability in Open Economies,"
CAMA Working Papers
2013-71, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Ippei Fujiwara, Yuki Teranishi, 2013. "Financial stability in open economies," AJRC Working Papers 1306, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Yuki Teranishi, 2009. "Financial Stability in Open Economies," IMES Discussion Paper Series 09-E-09, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Javier Andres & J. David López-Salido & Edward Nelson, 2005.
"Sticky-price models and the natural rate hypothesis,"
2005-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Andres, Javier & Lopez-Salido, J. David & Nelson, Edward, 2005. "Sticky-price models and the natural rate hypothesis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 1025-1053, July.
- Javier Andrés & David López-Salido & Edward Nelson, 2005. "Sticky-Price Models and the Natural Rate Hypothesis," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0521, Banco de Espa�a.
- Malley, Jim & Philippopoulos, Apostolis & Woitek, Ulrich, 2009. "To react or not? Technology shocks, fiscal policy and welfare in the EU-3," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 689-714, August.
- Boris Hofmann & Matthias Paustian, 2005. "The Persistence and Rigidity of wages and prices," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 71, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Jim Malley & Apostolis Philippopoulos & Ulrich Woitek, 2007.
"To React or Not? Fiscal Policy, Volatility and Welfare in the EU-3,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1919, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jim Malley & Apostolis Philippopoulos & Ulrich Woitek, 2007. "To React or Not? Fiscal Policy, Volatility and Welfare in the EU-3," IEW - Working Papers 312, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Jim Malley & Apostolis Philippopoulos & Ulrich Woitek, 2007. "To React or Not? Fiscal Policy, Volatility and Welfare in the EU-3," Working Papers 2007_02, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Yuki Teranishi, 2008. "Optimal Monetary Policy under Staggered Loan Contracts," IMES Discussion Paper Series 08-E-08, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Fujiwara, Ippei & Teranishi, Yuki, 2008.
"A dynamic new Keynesian life-cycle model: Societal aging, demographics, and monetary policy,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 2398-2427, August.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Yuki Teranishi, 2007. "A Dynamic New Keynesian Life-Cycle Model: Societal Ageing, Demographics and Monetary Policy," IMES Discussion Paper Series 07-E-04, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Federico Ravenna & Carl E. Walsh, 2009.
"Welfare-based optimal monetary policy with unemployment and sticky prices: a linear-quadratic framework,"
Working Paper Series
2009-15, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Federico Ravenna & Carl E. Walsh, 2011. "Welfare-Based Optimal Monetary Policy with Unemployment and Sticky Prices: A Linear-Quadratic Framework," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 130-62, April.
- Tommy Sveen & Lutz Weinke, 2006.
"Firm-specific capital and welfare,"
2006/04, Norges Bank.
- Arief Ramayandi, 2009. "Assessing Monetary Policy Efficiency in the ASEAN-5 Countries," Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS) 200902, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Mar 2009.
- Frank Hespeler, 2008. "Solution Algorithm to a Class of Monetary Rational Equilibrium Macromodels with Optimal Monetary Policy Design," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 31(3), pages 207-223, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.