The value of risk: measuring the service output of U. S. commercial banks
AbstractRather than charging direct fees, banks often charge implicitly for their services via interest spreads. As a result, much of bank output has to be estimated indirectly. In contrast to current statistical practice, dynamic optimizing models of banks argue that compensation for bearing systematic risk is not part of bank output. We apply these models and find that between 1997 and 2007, in the U.S. National Accounts, on average, bank output is overestimated by 21 percent and GDP is overestimated by 0.3 percent. Moreover, compared with current methods, our new estimates imply more plausible estimates of the share of capital in income and the return on fixed capital.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Boston in its series Working Papers with number 08-4.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2011. "The Value Of Risk: Measuring The Service Output Of U.S. Commercial Banks," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(1), pages 226-245, 01.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2008. "The Value of Risk: Measuring the Service Output of U.S. Commercial Banks," NBER Working Papers 14615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Basu, Susanto & Inklaar, Robert & Wang, J. Christina, 2008. "The Value of Risk: Measuring the Service Output of U.S. Commercial Banks," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-102, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- E01 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Measurement and Data on National Income and Product Accounts and Wealth; Environmental Accounts
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-07-14 (Banking)
- NEP-RMG-2008-07-14 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert A. Jarrow & David Lando & Fan Yu, 2005. "Default Risk And Diversification: Theory And Empirical Implications," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 1-26.
- Diewert, W E, 1974. "Intertemporal Consumer Theory and the Demand for Durables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(3), pages 497-516, May.
- Kau, James B, et al, 1992. "A Generalized Valuation Model for Fixed-Rate Residential Mortgages," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(3), pages 279-99, August.
- Charles Calomiris & Joseph Mason, 2004.
"Credit Card Securitization and Regulatory Arbitrage,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 5-27, August.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Joseph R. Mason, 2003. "Credit card securitization and regulatory arbitrage," Working Papers 03-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Erwin Diewert, 2008. "What Is To Be Done for Better productivity Measurement," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 16, pages 40-52, Spring.
- Dennis J Fixler & Marshall B Reinsdorf & Shaunda Villones, 2010. "Measuring the services of commercial banks in the NIPA," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The IFC's contribution to the 57th ISI Session, Durban, August 2009, volume 33, pages 346-349 Bank for International Settlements.
- Berger, Allen N & Hannan, Timothy H, 1989.
"The Price-Concentration Relationship in Banking,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 71(2), pages 291-99, May.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1988. "The price-concentration relationship in banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1987. "The price-concentration relationship in banking," Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics 100, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Barnett, William A., 1978. "The user cost of money," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 145-149.
- Carol A. Corrado & Charles R. Hulten & Daniel E. Sichel, 2006.
"Intangible Capital and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
11948, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gropp, Reint & Vesala, Jukka, 2001.
"Deposit insurance and moral hazard: does the counterfactual matter?,"
Working Paper Series
0047, European Central Bank.
- Gropp, R. & Vesala, J., 2001. "Deposit Insurance and Moral Hazard: Does the Counterfactual Matter?," Papers 47, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Flannery, Mark J, 1982. "Retail Bank Deposits as Quasi-Fixed Factors of Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 527-36, June.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1985. "What's different about banks?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-39, January.
- Dunn, Kenneth B & McConnell, John J, 1981. "Valuation of GNMA Mortgage-Backed Securities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(3), pages 599-616, June.
- J. Christina Wang, 2003. "Loanable funds, risk, and bank service output," Working Papers 03-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Robert Inklaar & Marcel P. Timmer & Bart van Ark, 2008. "Market services productivity across Europe and the US," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 23, pages 139-194, 01.
- Aoki, Shuhei, 2008.
"A Simple Accounting Framework for the Effect of Resource Misallocation on Aggregate Productivity,"
11511, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aoki, Shuhei, 2012. "A simple accounting framework for the effect of resource misallocation on aggregate productivity," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 473-494.
- Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2011.
"Real output of bank services: what counts is what banks do, not what they own,"
11-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2013. "Real Output of Bank Services: What Counts is What Banks Do, Not What They Own," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 80(317), pages 96-117, 01.
- Wang, J. Christina & Inklaar, Robert Christiaan, 2011. "Real Output of Bank Services: What Counts Is What Banks Do, Not What They Own," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-119, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Everett, Mary & McNeill, Joe & Phelan, Gillian, 2013. "Measuring the Value Added of the Financial Sector in Ireland," Quarterly Bulletin Articles, Central Bank of Ireland, pages 85-98, April.
- Susanto Basu, 2009. "Comment on "Incorporating Financial Services in a Consumer Price Index"," NBER Chapters, in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 266-271 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Satoru Hagino & Katsurako Sonoda, 2010. "Treatment of risk in the estimation of FISIM," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The IFC's contribution to the 57th ISI Session, Durban, August 2009, volume 33, pages 334-338 Bank for International Settlements.
- Barry P. Bosworth & Jack E. Triplett, 2007. "The Early 21st Century U.S. Productivity Expansion is Still in Services," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 14, pages 3-19, Spring.
- Charles, Steindel, 2010. "The Financial Crisis and the Measurement of Financial Sector Activity," MPRA Paper 27240, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- , & Diewert, Erwin, 2014. "The Treatment of Financial Transactions in the SNA: A User Cost Approach," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2014-8, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 20 Feb 2014.
- Martín-Oliver, Alfredo & Ruano, Sonia & Salas-Fumás, Vicente, 2013. "Why high productivity growth of banks preceded the financial crisis," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 688-712.
- Mª Pilar García-Alcober & Emili Tortosa-Ausina & Diego Prior & Manuel Illueca, 2014. "Cost and revenue efficiency in Spanish banking: What distributions show," Working Papers 2014/12, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Antonio Colangelo & Reimund Mink, 2010. "Bank services: some reflections on the treatment of default risk and term premium," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The IFC's contribution to the 57th ISI Session, Durban, August 2009, volume 33, pages 339-345 Bank for International Settlements.
- Diego Prior & Emili Tortosa-Ausina & Manuel Illueca & Mª Pilar García-Alcober, 2014. "Earnings quality and performance in the banking industry: A profit frontier approach," Working Papers 2014/11, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Catherine Spozio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.