What Is To Be Done for Better productivity Measurement
AbstractThe first section of the article reviews general measurement problems associated with measuring sectoral total factor productivity. Secondly, the article argues that the production accounts in the present System of National Accounts (SNA) need to be extended somewhat in order to be suitable as a data base for measuring sectoral productivity growth rates. In particular, the treatment of exports, imports and indirect taxes is not completely adequate for productivity measurement purposes in the present SNA. Finally, the article makes some specific suggestions to statistical agencies that would lead to better productivity measurement. In particular, balance sheet information needs to be improved and made available to the public. Moreover, the balance sheet information needs to be integrated with sectoral measures of capital service inputs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of Living Standards in its journal International Productivity Monitor.
Volume (Year): 16 (2008)
Issue (Month): (Spring)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C82 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Macroeconomic Data
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- F19 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Other
- J82 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Standards - - - Labor Force Composition
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O51 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - U.S.; Canada
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jorgenson, Dale W & Fraumeni, Barbara M, 1992. " Investment in Education and U.S. Economic Growth," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S51-70, Supplemen.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2008.
"The value of risk: measuring the service output of U. S. commercial banks,"
08-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2011. "The Value Of Risk: Measuring The Service Output Of U.S. Commercial Banks," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(1), pages 226-245, 01.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2008. "The Value of Risk: Measuring the Service Output of U.S. Commercial Banks," NBER Working Papers 14615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Basu, Susanto & Inklaar, Robert & Wang, J. Christina, 2008. "The Value of Risk: Measuring the Service Output of U.S. Commercial Banks," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-102, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Voskoboynikov, Ilya B. & Timmer, Marcel, 2013.
"Is Mining Fuelling Long-run Growth in Russia? Industry Productivity Growth Trends since 1995,"
GGDC Research Memorandum
GD-137, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Timmer , Marcel P. & Voskoboynikov , Ilya B., 2013. "Is mining fuelling long-run growth in Russia? Industry productivity growth trends since 1995," BOFIT Discussion Papers 19/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- López-Pueyo, Carmen & Mancebón, María-Jesús, 2010. "Innovation, accumulation and assimilation: Three sources of productivity growth in ICT industries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 268-285, March.
- Vicente Royuela & Jordi Suriñach, 2013.
"Quality of Work and Aggregate Productivity,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 113(1), pages 37-66, August.
- Robert Inklaar & Marcel P. Timmer & Bart van Ark, 2008. "Data for Productivity Measurement in Market Services: An International Comparison," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 16, pages 72-81, Spring.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.