Kaldor-Verdoorn's Law and Increasing Returns to Scale: A Comparison Across Developed Countries
AbstractThe objective of this study is to investigate the validity of the Kaldor-Verdoorn’s Law in explaining the long run determinants of the labor productivity growth for the manufacturing sector of some developed economies (Western European Countries, Australia, Canada, Japan and United States). We consider the period 1973-2006 using data provided by the European Commission - Economics and Financial Affairs. Our findings suggest that the law is valid for the manufacturing as countries show increasing returns to scale. Capital growth and labor cost growth do not appear important in explaining productivity growth. The estimated Verdoorn coefficients are found to be substantially stable throughout the period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2012.92.
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Increasing Returns; Kaldor-Verdoorn Law; Productivity Growth; Manufacturing Sector;
Other versions of this item:
- Ofria, Ferdinando & Millemaci, Emanuele, 2010. "Kaldor-Verdoorn’s law and increasing returns to scale: a comparison across developed countries," MPRA Paper 30941, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2013-01-26 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2013-01-26 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-PKE-2013-01-26 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lena Vogel, 2007.
"The Endogeneity of the Natural Rate of Growth – an Empirical Study for Latin-American Countries,"
Macroeconomics and Finance Series
200704, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- Lena Vogel, 2009. "The endogeneity of the natural rate of growth - an empirical study for Latin-American countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 23(1), pages 41-53.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCombie, J S L & de Ridder, J R, 1984. ""The Verdoorn Law Controversy": Some New Empirical Evidence Using U.S. State Data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(2), pages 268-84, June.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1975. "Economic Growth and the Verdoorn Law-A Comment on Mr. Rowthorn's Article," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(340), pages 891-96, December.
- Dirk Frantzen, 2008. "Technology, competitiveness and specialisation in OECD manufacturing," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(1), pages 44-68, March.
- R. I. D. Harris & A. Liu, 1999. "Verdoorn's law and increasing returns to scale: country estimates based on the cointegration approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 29-33.
- Joshua Angrist & Alan B. Krueger, 2001.
"Instrumental Variables and the Search for Identification: From Supply and Demand to Natural Experiments,"
NBER Working Papers
8456, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Alan B. Krueger, 2001. "Instrumental Variables and the Search for Identification: From Supply and Demand to Natural Experiments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 69-85, Fall.
- Harris, Richard I D & Lau, Eunice, 1998. "Verdoorn's Law and Increasing Returns to Scale in the UK Regions, 1968-91: Some New Estimates Based on the Cointegration Approach," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(2), pages 201-19, April.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Russell Davidson & James MacKinnon, 2006.
"The Case Against Jive,"
Departmental Working Papers
2004-02, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Anna Mikusheva & Brian P. Poi, 2006. "Tests and confidence sets with correct size when instruments are potentially weak," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(3), pages 335-347, September.
- Ute Pieper, 2003. "Sectoral regularities of productivity growth in developing countries--a Kaldorian interpretation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(6), pages 831-850, November.
- Joshua Angrist & Alan Krueger, 2001. "Instrumental Variables and the Search for Identification: From Supply and Demand to Natural Experiments," Working Papers 834, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Christos Pitelis & Nicholas Antonakis, 2003. "Manufacturing and competitiveness: the case of Greece," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(5), pages 535-547, October.
- Maddison, Angus, 1979. "Per Capita Output in the Long Run," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1/2), pages 412-29.
- Ferdinando Ofria, 2009. "L'approccio Kaldor-Verdoorn: una verifica empirica per il Centro-Nord e il Mezzogiorno d'Italia (anni 1951-2006)," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 1, pages 179-207, January-M.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- John S. L. McCombie & Mark Roberts, 2007. "Returns To Scale And Regional Growth: The Static-Dynamic Verdoorn Law Paradox Revisited," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 179-208.
- Fingleton, B & McCombie, J S L, 1998. "Increasing Returns and Economic Growth: Some Evidence for Manufacturing from the European Union Regions," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 89-105, January.
- Stilianos Alexiadis & Dimitrios Tsagdis, 2010. "Is cumulative growth in manufacturing productivity slowing down in the EU12 regions?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(6), pages 1001-1017.
- Fiona Tregenna, 2009. "Characterising deindustrialisation: An analysis of changes in manufacturing employment and output internationally," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(3), pages 433-466, May.
- Stock, James H & Wright, Jonathan H & Yogo, Motohiro, 2002. "A Survey of Weak Instruments and Weak Identification in Generalized Method of Moments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 518-29, October.
- Salvatore D'Acunto & Sergio Destefanis & Marco Musella, 2004. "Exports, Supply Constraints and Growth: An Investigation using Regional Data," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 167-189.
- Romina Gambacorta, 2004. "Il dibattito sulla legge di Verdoorn: alcuni risultati empirici usando l’analisi di cointegrazione," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 94(3), pages 251-, May-June.
- Vaciago, Giacomo, 1975. "Increasing Returns and Growth in Advanced Economies: A Re-evaluation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 232-39, July.
- Centorrino M. & Ofria F. & Farinella D., 2010. "Convergence and divergence processes between the Mezzogiorno and the Centre- North ten years after the adoption of the EMU," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 453-486.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.