Is cumulative growth in manufacturing productivity slowing down in the EU12 regions?
AbstractThe cumulative causation in the relation between labour productivity and output growth, known as Verdoorn's Law, is empirically tested using data from 109 EU12 regions during the period 1977--2005. Several specifications of Verdoorn's Law are put forward in this paper, which attribute the process of cumulative causation to a series of factors, including manufacturing agglomeration, spatial interaction, and responses to the problems of growth. The findings suggest that, although cumulative causation holds over this period, the slowdown of its pace is, nonetheless, apparent post 1992. Revisions in responses (e.g. policy) along with further research are thus recommended. Copyright The Author 2009. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Cambridge Political Economy Society. All rights reserved., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Storm, Servaas & Naastepad, C.W.M, 2012. "Wage-led or profit-led supply : wages, productivity and investment," ILO Working Papers 470930, International Labour Organization.
- Emanuele Millemaci & Ferdinando Ofria, 2014.
"Kaldor-Verdoorn's law and increasing returns to scale: A comparison across developed countries,"
Journal of Economic Studies,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 41(1), pages 140 - 162, January.
- Ofria, Ferdinando & Millemaci, Emanuele, 2010. "Kaldor-Verdoorn’s law and increasing returns to scale: a comparison across developed countries," MPRA Paper 30941, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Emanuele Millemaci & Ferdinando Ofria, 2012. "Kaldor-Verdoorn's Law and Increasing Returns to Scale: A Comparison Across Developed Countries," Working Papers 2012.92, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Alexiadis, Stilianos & Eleftheriou, Konstantinos, 2011. "Health is wealth: an empirical note across the US states," MPRA Paper 33517, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.