Explaining Slower Productivity Growth: The Role of Weak Demand Growth
AbstractUsing panel data on Canadian industris and OECD countries, this article examines empirically the role of growth in domestic and external demand in labou productivity growth. The findings suggest that most of the post-2000 slowdown in business sector labour productivity growth was the result of weak demand growth, which impacts productivity directly by reducing economies of scale and scope and by affecting key productivity drivers such as investment and R&D. With an expected slowdown in both domestic demand growth in Canada and external demand growth for Canadian exports, the medium- to long-term outlook for productivity growth, and hence for real income growth of Canadians, is expected to be weak.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of Living Standards in its journal International Productivity Monitor.
Volume (Year): 26 (2013)
Issue (Month): (Fall)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ofria, Ferdinando & Millemaci, Emanuele, 2010.
"Kaldor-Verdoorn’s law and increasing returns to scale: a comparison across developed countries,"
30941, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Emanuele Millemaci & Ferdinando Ofria, 2014. "Kaldor-Verdoorn's law and increasing returns to scale: A comparison across developed countries," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 41(1), pages 140 - 162, January.
- Emanuele Millemaci & Ferdinando Ofria, 2012. "Kaldor-Verdoorn's Law and Increasing Returns to Scale: A Comparison Across Developed Countries," Working Papers 2012.92, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1986.
"Hysteresis and Unemployment,"
430, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Heckman, James J. & Masterov, Dimitriy V., 2007.
"The Productivity Argument for Investing in Young Children,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2725, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- James J. Heckman & Dimitriy V. Masterov, 2007. "The Productivity Argument for Investing in Young Children," NBER Working Papers 13016, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1980.
"The Lagrange Multiplier Test and Its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 239-53, January.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., . "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP -412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003.
"A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007. "A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- McCombie, J S L & de Ridder, J R, 1984. ""The Verdoorn Law Controversy": Some New Empirical Evidence Using U.S. State Data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(2), pages 268-84, June.
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2005.
"Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data,"
2005:11, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Gilberto Libânio & Sueli Moro, 2011. "Manufacturing Industryand Economic Growth in Latin America," Anais do XXXVII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 37th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 86, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.