Tests and confidence sets with correct size when instruments are potentially weak
AbstractWe consider inference in the linear regression model with one endoge- nous variable and potentially weak instruments. We construct confidence sets for the coefficient on the endogenous variable by inverting the Anderson-Rubin, Lagrange multiplier, and conditional likelihood-ratio tests. Our confidence sets have correct coverage probabilities even when the instruments are weak. We propose a numerically simple algorithm for finding these confidence sets, and we present a Stata command that supersedes the one presented in Moreira and Poi (Stata Journal 3: 57–70). Copyright 2006 by StataCorp LP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by StataCorp LP in its journal Stata Journal.
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.stata-journal.com/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 1997. "Some Impossibility Theorems in Econometrics with Applications to Structural and Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1365-1388, November.
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Moreira, Marcelo J. & Stock, James H., 2007. "Performance of conditional Wald tests in IV regression with weak instruments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 116-132, July.
- Frank Kleibergen, 2002.
"Pivotal Statistics for Testing Structural Parameters in Instrumental Variables Regression,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1781-1803, September.
- Frank Kleibergen, 2000. "Pivotal Statistics for Testing Structural Parameters in Instrumental Variables Regression," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-055/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Marcelo J. Moreira & James H. Stock, 2004.
"Optimal Invariant Similar Tests for Instrumental Variables Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1476, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Marcelo Moreira & James H. Stock, 2004. "Optimal Invariant Similar Tests for Instrumental Variables Regression," NBER Technical Working Papers 0299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nelson, C. & Startz, R., 1988.
"Some Furthere Results On The Exact Small Sample Properties Of The Instrumental Variable Estimator,"
Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington
88-06, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Nelson, Charles R & Startz, Richard, 1990. "Some Further Results on the Exact Small Sample Properties of the Instrumental Variable Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 967-76, July.
- Nelson, C. & Startz, R., 1988. "Some Furthere Results On The Exact Small Sample Properties Of The Instrumental Variable Estimator," Working Papers 88-06, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Charles R. Nelson & Richard Startz, 1988. "Some Further Results on the Exact Small Sample Properties of the Instrumental Variable Estimator," NBER Technical Working Papers 0068, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock, James H & Wright, Jonathan H & Yogo, Motohiro, 2002. "A Survey of Weak Instruments and Weak Identification in Generalized Method of Moments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 518-29, October.
- Marcelo J. Moreira & Brian P. Poi, 2003.
"Implementing tests with correct size in the simultaneous equations model,"
StataCorp LP, vol. 3(1), pages 57-70, March.
- Marcelo J. Moreira & Brian P. Poi, 2003. "Implementing Tests with Correct Size in the Simultaneous Equation Model," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1993, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Moreira, Marcelo J., 2009. "Tests with correct size when instruments can be arbitrarily weak," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 131-140, October.
- Jason M. Fletcher, 2010. "Social interactions and smoking: evidence using multiple student cohorts, instrumental variables, and school fixed effects," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(4), pages 466-484.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Vieira, Flávio & Damasceno, Aderbal, 2010.
"The Role of Institutions in Cross-Section Income and Panel Data Growth Models: A Deeper Investigation on the Weakness and Proliferation of Instruments,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2010-50, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Vieira, Flávio & MacDonald, Ronald & Damasceno, Aderbal, 2012. "The role of institutions in cross-section income and panel data growth models: A deeper investigation on the weakness and proliferation of instruments," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 127-140.
- Aderbal Damasceno & Ronald MacDonald & Flávio Vieira, 2010. "The role of institutions in cross-section income and panel data growth models: a deeper investigation on the weakness and proliferation of instruments," Working Papers 2010_04, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Austin Nichols, 2007. "Review of An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata by Baum," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(1), pages 131-136, February.
- Emanuele Millemaci & Ferdinando Ofria, 2012.
"Kaldor-Verdoorn's Law and Increasing Returns to Scale: A Comparison Across Developed Countries,"
2012.92, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ofria, Ferdinando & Millemaci, Emanuele, 2010. "Kaldor-Verdoorn’s law and increasing returns to scale: a comparison across developed countries," MPRA Paper 30941, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mikusheva, Anna, 2010. "Robust confidence sets in the presence of weak instruments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 236-247, August.
- Mikusheva, Anna, 2013. "Survey on statistical inferences in weakly-identified instrumental variable models," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 29(1), pages 117-131.
- Christopher F Baum, 2006. "An Introduction to Modern Econometrics using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number imeus, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum) or (Lisa Gilmore).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.