Car quality improvements and price indices in Spain
AbstractThe main goals of this study are to measure quality improvements in automobile sector in Spain and to estimate the quality bias in car price index released by INE. In order to do that, we propose an alternative methodology to estimate hedonic regressions. This methodology involves classifying the "indicators" of quality of an automobile in "sub-indices" that reflect different aspects of quality, subsequently grouping the sub-indices in an overall quality index. Consequently, car quality can be measured by a readily interpretable index; and its price can be estimated with statistical accuracy in an hedonic regression where the overall quality index is used as regressor. Results indicate that the implicit quality bias in the car price index released by INE is 3.1 % per year.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2001-18.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
Other versions of this item:
- Mario Izquierdo & Omar Licandro & Alberto Maydey, . "Car quality improvements and price indices in Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 121, FEDEA.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Omar Licandro & Antonio R. Sampayo, 2005.
"The effects of replacement schemes on car sales: the Spanish case,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2005/20, European University Institute.
- Omar Licandro & Antonio R. Sampayo, 2006. "The effects of replacement schemes on car sales: the Spanish case," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 30(2), pages 239-282, May.
- Varela-Irimia, Xosé-Luís, 2011.
"Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990's,"
2072/169683, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Xosé-Luís Varela-Irimia, 2011. "Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990?s," Working Papers XREAP2011-11, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Aug 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.