Efficiency, environmental Contaminants and Farm Size: Testing for Links Using Stochastic Production Frontiers
AbstractThis paper investigates whether there is any relationship between farm size, technical efficiency and the use of agrichemicals which are potentially environmentally contaminating. These questions are pertinent in the context of current EU policy decions. Using two models of stochastic frontier production and a set of panel data on 35 farms from the South West of England for the years 1987-1991, we obtain an indication that there is a positive, though weak relationship between technical efficiency and the use of contaminants, and between technical efficiency and farm size. However, there is a negligible negative relationship between farm size and use of contaminants.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Exeter University, Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 9505.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Streatham Court, Rennes Drive, Exeter EX4 4PU
Phone: (01392) 263218
Fax: (01392) 263242
Web page: http://business-school.exeter.ac.uk/about/departments/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Kaddour Hadri & Julie Whittaker, 1999. "Efficiency, Environmental Contaminants and Farm Size: Testing for Links Using Stochastic Production Frontiers," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 337-356, November.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C24 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kumbhakar, Subal C, 1993. "Short-Run Returns to Scale, Farm-Size, and Economic Efficiency," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 336-41, May.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Schmidt, Peter & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1979. "Estimating technical and allocative inefficiency relative to stochastic production and cost frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 343-366, February.
- Trosper, Ronald L, 1978. "American Indian Relative Ranching Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(4), pages 503-16, September.
- B. E. Bravo-Ureta & L. Rieger, 1990. "Alternative Production Frontier Methodologies And Dairy Farm Efficiency," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 215-226.
- repec:fth:exetec:99/14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bagi, Faqir Singh, 1982. "Relationship Between Farm Size And Technical Efficiency In West Tennessee Agriculture," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(02), December.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1997. "A frontier approach to disequilibrium models," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(11), pages 699-701.
- Guermat, C. & Hadri, K., 1999. "Heteroscedasticity in Stochastic Frontier Models: a Monte Carlo Analysis," Discussion Papers 9914, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Dawson, P J, 1987. "Farm-Specific Technical Efficiency in the England and Wales Dairy Sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 14(4), pages 383-94.
- Guermat, C. & Hadri, K., 1999. "Backpropagation Neural Network versus Translog Model in Stochastic Frontiers: a Note Carlo Compatrison," Discussion Papers 9916, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Byrnes, Patricia, et al, 1987. "Technical Efficiency and Size: The Case of Illinois Grain Farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 14(4), pages 367-81.
- Faqir Singh Bagi & Cliff J. Huang, 1983. "Estimating Production Technical Efficiency for Individual Farms in Tennessee," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 31(2), pages 249-256, 07.
- Hadri, K. & Guermat, C. & Whittaker, J., 1998. "Doubly Heteroscedastic Stochastic Production Frontiers with an English Cere al Farms," Discussion Papers 9908, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Mary Graham, 2006. "Sustainability: Meaning and Measurement with Application to Agriculture," Economics Series 2006_31, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Kaddour Hadri & Cherif Guermat & Julie Whittaker, 2003. "Estimating Farm Efficiency in the Presence of Double Heteroscedasticity Using Panel Data," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 255-268, November.
- Jiang, Nan & Sharp, Basil, 2013. "Cost Efficiency of Dairy Farming in New Zealand: a stochastic frontier analysis," 2013 Conference, August 28-30, 2013, Christchurch, New Zealand 160266, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Munksgaard, Jesper & Christoffersen, Line Block & Keiding, Hans & Pedersen, Ole Gravgard & Jensen, Trine S., 2007. "An environmental performance index for products reflecting damage costs," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 119-130, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Cortinhas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.