Farm-Specific Technical Efficiency in the England and Wales Dairy Sector
AbstractThis paper seeks to measure farm-specific technical efficiencies in the England and Wales dairy sector at discret e points in time. Stochastic production functions are estimated econo metrically using Milk Marketing Board data for three stratified rando m samples of dairy farms in 1976-77, 1980-81 and 1984-85. A measure o f relative technical efficiency is calculated for each farm in each y ear. The distribution of technical efficiencies for 1976-77 has the l owest mean and highest variance; that for 1984-85 has the highest mea n and lowest variance. The results indicate an increase in relative t echnical efficiency which the imposition of quotas has accelerated. Copyright 1987 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1987)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kaddour Hadri & Julie Whittaker, 1999.
"Efficiency, Environmental Contaminants and Farm Size: Testing for Links Using Stochastic Production Frontiers,"
Journal of Applied Economics,
Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 337-356, November.
- Hadri, K. & Whittaker, J., 1995. "Efficiency, environmental Contaminants and Farm Size: Testing for Links Using Stochastic Production Frontiers," Discussion Papers, Exeter University, Department of Economics 9505, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Jiang, Nan & Sharp, Basil, 2013. "Cost Efficiency of Dairy Farming in New Zealand: a stochastic frontier analysis," 2013 Conference, August 28-30, 2013, Christchurch, New Zealand, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society 160266, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Ahmad, Munir & Boris E., Bravo-Ureta, 1996. "Technical efficiency measures for dairy farms using panel data: a comparison of alternative model specifications," MPRA Paper 37703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.