Financial Exposure, Technical Change And Farm Efficiency: Evidence From The England And Wales Dairy Sector
AbstractThis paper fits a translog stochastic production frontier with inefficiency effects to a panel of 693 UK dairy farms for the period from 1982 to 1997. The Cobb Douglas is rejected as inadequate relative to the less restrictive translog functional form and the frontier model is statistically superior to the mean response function, despite the fact that on average the farms were 87% efficient. Technological progress, at 1.7% per annum, is the dominant force, but efficiency declined at 0.8% per year, which reduced productivity growth to 0.9% per annum. The inefficiencies are explained in the second stage of the model, where the greatest cause is financial exposure, captured here by the ratio of debts to assets. Older farmers, those in less favoured areas and owner-occupiers were also less efficient, but large farms were more efficient, which suggests increasing returns to scale.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL with number 20656.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catherine J. Morrison Paul & Warren E. Johnston & Gerald A. G. Frengley, 2000. "Efficiency in New Zealand Sheep and Beef Farming: The Impacts of Regulatory Reform," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 325-337, May.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Aliber, Michael, 1993. "An Analysis Of Economic Efficiency In Agriculture: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- George E. Battese, 1997. "A Note On The Estimation Of Cobb-Douglas Production Functions When Some Explanatory Variables Have Zero Values," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 250-252.
- Andreu, Monica Lopez & Grunewald, Orlen C., 2006. "Sources of Inefficiency in Kansas Farms," 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida 35283, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure & Ratinger, Tomas, 2005. "Performance of Different Institutional Units in the Czech Republic and the Role of External Financing," 94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK 24421, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Andreu, Monica Lopez & Featherstone, Allen M. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Grunewald, Orlen C., 2006. "Impact of Financial Variables on Production in Kansas Farms Efficiencies," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21406, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Stéphane Blancard, 2006.
"Financial Exposure and Productive Performance in French Arable Farms,"
AccessEcon, vol. 4(15), pages 1-9.
- StÃ©phane Blancard, 2006. "Financial exposure and productive performance in French arable farms," Working Papers 11638, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Olson, Kent D. & Vu, Linh, 2009. "Productivity Growth, Technical Efficiency and Technical Change on Minnesota Farms," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49204, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Saldias, Rodrigo & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2012. "Access to credit and the determinants of technical inefficiency among specialized small farmers in Chile," DARE Discussion Papers 1211, Georg-August University of Göttingen, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (DARE).
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2006:i:15:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.