Efficiency Variation of Manufacturing Firms: A Case Study of Seafood Processing Firms in Bangladesh
AbstractManufacturing firms in developing countries experience difficulties to deploy total capacity and realize the full potential. This research uses four years? primary data collected from the seafood industry in Bangladesh and analyzes that using stochastic frontier approach and presents an estimation model of the technical efficiency of the seafood processing firms in Bangladesh. It reveals that the industry runs on an average of 80% technical efficiency and has the potentials to increase productivity efficiency. The research also finds that the firms? age and size are the main sources of inefficiency. Smaller and newer firms are comparatively efficient than the larger and older ones. In order to improve production efficiency, large firms need to devise strategies for regular modernization through technological adaptation and modularization of the production units.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Better Advances Press, Canada in its journal Review of Economics & Finance.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada
Web page: http://www.bapress.ca
Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L66 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Food; Beverages; Cosmetics; Tobacco
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Li, Hongbin & Rozelle, Scott, 2000. "Saving or stripping rural industry: an analysis of privatization and efficiency in China," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 241-252, September.
- Caudill, Steven B & Ford, Jon M & Gropper, Daniel M, 1995. "Frontier Estimation and Firm-Specific Inefficiency Measures in the Presence of Heteroscedasticity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 105-11, January.
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003.
"Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery,"
International and Development Economics Working Papers
idec03-3, International and Development Economics.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2004. "Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1631-1641.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical Efficiency Effects of Input Controls: Evidence from Australia's Banana Prawn Fishery," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0304, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Bakht, Zaid & Salimullah, Md. & Yamagata, Tatsufumi & Yunus, Mohammad, 2008. "Competitiveness of the knitwear industry in Bangladesh : a study of industrial development amid global competition," IDE Discussion Papers 169, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Derek Jones & Panu Kalmi & Mikko Mäkinen, 2010.
"The productivity effects of stock option schemes: evidence from Finnish panel data,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 67-80, February.
- Jones, Derek C. & Kalmi, Panu & Mäkinen, Mikko, 2006. "The Productivity Effects of Stock Option Schemes: Evidence from Finnish Panel Data," Discussion Papers 1026, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
- Víctor Moreira & Boris Bravo-Ureta, 2010. "Technical efficiency and metatechnology ratios for dairy farms in three southern cone countries: a stochastic meta-frontier model," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 33-45, February.
- Anup Kumar Bhandari & Pradip Maiti, 2007. "Efficiency of Indian Manufacturing Firms: Textile Industry as a Case Study," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 6(1), pages 71-88, April.
- Ruhul A. Salim, 2006. "Measuring Productive Efficiency Incorporating Firms¡¯ Heterogeneity: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 31(1), pages 135-147, June.
- Li, Hongbin & Rozelle, Scott, 2000. "Saving or stripping rural industry: an analysis of privatization and efficiency in China," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(3), September.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Aliber, Michael, 1993. "An Analysis Of Economic Efficiency In Agriculture: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bill Yan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.