Backpropagation Neural Network versus Translog Model in Stochastic Frontiers: a Note Carlo Compatrison
AbstractLittle attention has been given to the effects of functional form mis-specification on the estimation of stochastic frontier models and to the possibility of using backpropagation neural netwok as a flexible functional form to approximate the production or cost functions. This paper has two main aims. First, it uses Monte Carlo experimentation to investigate the effects of functional form mis-specification on the finite sample properties of the maximum likelihod (ML) estimators of the half-normal stochastic frontier production functions; second it compared the performance of backpropagation neural network with that of translog.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Exeter University, Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 9916.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Streatham Court, Rennes Drive, Exeter EX4 4PU
Phone: (01392) 263218
Fax: (01392) 263242
Web page: http://business-school.exeter.ac.uk/about/departments/economics/
More information through EDIRC
ECONOMETRICS ; STATISTICAL ANALYSIS ; NETWORK ANALYSIS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C24 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kaddour Hadri & Julie Whittaker, 1999.
"Efficiency, Environmental Contaminants and Farm Size: Testing for Links Using Stochastic Production Frontiers,"
Journal of Applied Economics,
Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 337-356, November.
- Hadri, K. & Whittaker, J., 1995. "Efficiency, environmental Contaminants and Farm Size: Testing for Links Using Stochastic Production Frontiers," Discussion Papers 9505, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Cortinhas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.