Issues in corporate governance
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to review issues and problems arising in the area of corporate governance from a broader economic perspective at a time when a series of major corporate accounting fraud scandals has renewed interest in the subject. The paper highlights the economic significance of corporate governance forresource allocation, investment decisions, and financial market development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 200.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
corporate governance; corporate fraud; resource allocation; investment decisions; financial market development; Walkner;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard Yeung & Kathy S. He & Randall Morck, 2004.
"Corporate Stability and Economic Growth,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
84, Econometric Society.
- Kathy S. He & Randall Morck & Bernard Yeung, 2003. "Corporate Stability and Economic Growth," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 553, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- He, Kathy S. & Morck, Randall & Yeung, Bernard, 2003. "Corporate Stability and Economic Growth," CEI Working Paper Series 2003-12, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- R. Gaston Gelos & Shang-Jin Wei, 2002.
"Transparency and International Investor Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
9260, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- João A. C. Santos, 1998.
"Commercial banks in the securities business: A review,"
BIS Working Papers
56, Bank for International Settlements.
- João Santos, 1998. "Commercial Banks in the Securities Business: A Review," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 35-60, July.
- João Cabral dos Santos, 1996. "Commercial banks in the securities business: a review," Working Paper 9610, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- STOLOWY, Herve & BRETON, Gaetan, 2000. "A framework for the classification of accounts manipulations," Les Cahiers de Recherche 708, HEC Paris.
- Singh, Ajit & Singh, Alaka & Weisse, Bruce, 2002.
"Corporate Governance, Competetion, The new International Financial Architecture and Large Corporations in Emerging Markets,"
24305, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ajit Singh & Bruce Weisse & Alaka Singh, 2002. "Corporate governance, competition, the new international financial architecture and large corporations in emerging markets," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp250, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 2000. "Negative Alchemy?: Corruption and Composition of Capital Flows," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 165, OECD Publishing.
- Bebchuk, Lucian A. & Fried, Jesse M., 2003. "Executive Compensation as an Agency Problem," Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series qt81q3136r, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
- Peter Murrell, 1995. "The Transition According to Cambridge, Mass," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 164-178, March.
- Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Pietro Garibaldi, 2002.
"What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1998.
"International Economic Policy in the Wake of the Asian Crisis,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series
qt78c3z577, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2000. "International Economic Policy in the Wake of the Asian Crisis," International Finance 0003005, EconWPA.
- Barry Eichengreen., 1998. "International Economic Policy in the Wake of the Asian Crisis," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C98-102, University of California at Berkeley.
- Denis, Cecile & Huizinga, Harry, 2004. "Are Foreign Ownership and Good Institutions Substitutes? The Case of Non-Traded Equity," CEPR Discussion Papers 4339, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Becht, Marco & Bolton, Patrick & Roell, Ailsa, 2003.
"Corporate governance and control,"
Handbook of the Economics of Finance,
in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 1-109
- Patrick Bolton & Marco Becht & Alisa Roell, 2002. "Corporate Governance and Control," NBER Working Papers 9371, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Becht & Patrick Bolton & Ailsa Röell, 2003. "Corporate governance and control," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13330, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Klaus Gugler & Dennis C. Mueller & B. Burcin Yurtoglu, 2001. "Corporate Governance, Capital MarketDiscipline and the Returns on Investment," CIG Working Papers FS IV 01-25, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Schleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 2001.
"Investor Protection and Corporate Governance,"
Working Paper Series
rwp01-017, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- International Monetary Fund, 2000. "Institutions Matter in Transition, but so do Policies," IMF Working Papers 00/70, International Monetary Fund.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 2003.
"Unnatural Selection: Perverse Incentives and the Misallocation of Credit in Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
9643, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 2005. "Unnatural Selection: Perverse Incentives and the Misallocation of Credit in Japan," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(4), pages 1144-1166, September.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2002. "How corporate governance and globalization can run afoul of the law and good practices in business: The Enron's disgraceful affair," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 225, Universidad del CEMA.
- William R. Emmons & Frank A. Schmid, 2001. "Corporate governance, entrenched labor, and economic growth," Working Papers 2001-023, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Nenova, Tatiana, 2003. "The value of corporate voting rights and control: A cross-country analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 325-351, June.
- Marianne Bertrand & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2003.
"Enjoying the Quiet Life? Corporate Governance and Managerial Preferences,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(5), pages 1043-1075, October.
- Bertrand, Marianne & Mullainathan, Sendhil, 2003. "Enjoying the Quiet Life? Corporate Governance and Managerial Preferences," Scholarly Articles 3429713, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rajan, Raghuram G. & Zingales, Luigi, 2003. "The great reversals: the politics of financial development in the twentieth century," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 5-50, July.
- Constantinos Chalevas & Christos Tzovas, 2010. "The effect of the mandatory adoption of corporate governance mechanisms on earnings manipulation, management effectiveness and firm financing: Evidence from Greece," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 257-277, March.
- Chalevas, Constantinos G., 2011. "The Effect of the Mandatory Adoption of Corporate Governance Mechanisms on Executive Compensation," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 138-174, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.