Investigating Generic And Brand Name Pharmaceutical’S Market Shares And Prices In Tunisia
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to investigate how the brand name’s market shares in Tunisia are affected by generic competition during the pre-reform period of the Tunisian health insurance system following the methodological approach developed by Aronsson et al. (2001). In this study we use data for three molecules Captopril (antihypertensive) Glibenclamide (antidiabetic) and Carbamazepine (antiepileptic) from IMS Health database. The data span from the third quarter 2002 to second quarter 2007. Statistical results indicate that the impact of generic competition seems to be not different across markets (Captopril, Glibenclamide and Carbamazepine) in Tunisia. In addition, the relative price has a positive and significant effect on the change of market share of the brand name drug in Tunisia for the three active molecules. The higher the price of the brand name product relative to the average price of the generic substitutes, the smaller the decrease of market share of the brand name product. In Tunisian pharmaceutical market, brand- names charge a higher price than their generic versions and still obtain positive market shares. Thus, from a policy perspective, the large market share of higher priced brand-names relative to their generic versions is an unsatisfactory outcome taking into account that brand name drug and generics are identical products and provide similar health gains to patients.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Forum in its series Working Papers with number 497.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2009
Date of revision: Jul 2009
Publication status: Published by The Economic Research Forum (ERF)
Other versions of this item:
- Chebbi, Houssem Eddine & Boujelbene, Younes & Ayadi, Inès, . "Investigating Generic and Brand Name Pharmaceutical’s Market Shares and Prices in Tunisia," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/3608, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard G. Frank & David S. Salkever, 1997. "Generic Entry and the Pricing of Pharmaceuticals," NBER Working Papers 5306, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joan Costa-Font & Panos Kanavos & Joan Rovira, 2007. "Determinants of out-of-pocket pharmaceutical expenditure and access to drugs in Catalonia," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 39(5), pages 541-551.
- Danzon, Patricia M & Chao, Li-Wei, 2000. "Does Regulation Drive out Competition in Pharmaceutical Markets?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 311-57, October.
- Nina Pavcnik, 2002. "Do Pharmaceutical Prices Respond to Potential Patient Out-of-Pocket Expenses?," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(3), pages 469-487, Autumn.
- Dranove, David, 1989. "Medicaid Drug Formulary Restrictions," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 143-62, April.
- Richard G. Frank & David S. Salkever, 1997. "Generic Entry and the Pricing of Pharmaceuticals," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 75-90, 03.
- Judith K. Hellerstein, 1998. "The Importance of the Physician in the Generic Versus Trade-Name Prescription Decision," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(1), pages 108-136, Spring.
- Grabowski, Henry G & Vernon, John M, 1992. "Brand Loyalty, Entry, and Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals after the 1984 Drug Act," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(2), pages 331-50, October.
- Scherer, F.M., 2000. "The pharmaceutical industry," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 25, pages 1297-1336 Elsevier.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Namees Nabeel).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.