Determinants of out-of-pocket pharmaceutical expenditure and access to drugs in Catalonia
AbstractThis article examines the determinants of the demand for pharmaceuticals in Catalonia using the latest available official survey data, having accounted for the individual differences in cost-sharing among consumers, as well as the influence of self-medication. The article builds a model of the (household) determinants of pharmaceutical expenditure and consumption. The econometric application deals with the infrequency of purchases and the nondistinction between out-of-pocket spending and drug cost sharing. Our results suggest that income and the variables accounting for the effect of cost sharing were significantly associated with drug use but not drug expenditure. Furthermore, gender, health status and having health insurance appear to be significant predictors. Access to pharmacies increases both drug use and expenditure; self-medication also increases drug expenditure out-of-pocket. These results are relevant for the entire Spanish case where current reform proposals have recommended the introduction of income-related (rather than age-related) co-payments. The same applies to the need for controlling self-medication which results from individual behaviour of consuming medicines for minor ailments without a prescription and which can be acquired OTC and are priced cheaply.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Laura GonzÃ¡lez & Giuliano Masiero, 2011. "Disentangling spillover effects of antibiotic consumption: a spatial panel approach," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 1106, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Yesim Köksal, Miyase, 2011. "Compassion and cost: The dual role of reference pricing," Working Papers in Economics 498, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Chebbi, Houssem Eddine & Boujelbene, Younes & Ayadi, Inès, 2008.
"Investigating Generic and Brand Name Pharmaceutical’s Market Shares and Prices in Tunisia,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/3608, Paris Dauphine University.
- Ines Ayadi & Houssem Eddine Chebbi & Younes Boujelbene, 2009. "Investigating Generic And Brand Name Pharmaceutical’S Market Shares And Prices In Tunisia," Working Papers 497, Economic Research Forum, revised Jul 2009.
- Jiménez-Rubio, Dolores & Hernández-Quevedo, Cristina, 2010. "Explaining the demand for pharmaceuticals in Spain: Are there differences in drug consumption between foreigners and the Spanish population?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 97(2-3), pages 217-224, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.