Generic substitution: micro evidence from register data in Norway
AbstractThe importance of prices, doctor and patient characteristics, and market institutions for the likelihood of choosing generic drugs instead of the more expensive original brand-name version were examined. Using an extensive dataset extracted from The Norwegian Prescription Database (NorPD) containing all prescriptions dispensed to individuals in February 2004 and 2006 on 23 different drugs (chemical substances) in Norway, we find strong evidence for the importance of both doctor and patient characteristics for the choice robabilities. The price difference between brand and generic versions and insurance coverage both affect generic substitution. Moreover, controlling for the retail chain affiliation of the dispensing pharmacy, we find that pharmacies play an important role in promoting generic substitution. In markets with more recent entry of generic drugs, the brand-name loyalty proves to be much stronger, giving less explanatory powerto our demand model. Length: 25 pages
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The European Journal of Health Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10198/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Dalen Gag Morten & Furu Kai & Locatelli Marilena & Strom Steinar, 2009. "Generic substitution. Micro evidence from register data in Norway," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 200901, University of Turin.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coscelli, Andrea, 2000. "The Importance of Doctors' and Patients' Preferences in the Prescription Decision," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 349-69, September.
- Dag Dalen & Steinar Strøm & Tonje Haabeth, 2006.
"Price regulation and generic competition in the pharmaceutical market,"
The European Journal of Health Economics,
Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 204-211, September.
- Dalen, Dag Morten & Strøm, Steinar & Haabeth, Tonje, 2005. "Price regulation and generic competition in the pharmaceutical market," Memorandum 33/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Dalen, Dag Morten & Habeth, Tonje & Strøm, Steinar, 2009. "Price regulation and generic competition in the pharmaceutical market," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2006:1, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Astrid L. Grasdal & Tor Helge Holmås, 2007.
"Regulation and Pricing of Pharmaceuticals: Reference Pricing or Price Cap Regulation?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2059, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Grasdal, Astrid L. & Holms, Tor Helge, 2009. "Regulation and pricing of pharmaceuticals: Reference pricing or price cap regulation?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 170-185, February.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Grasdal, Astrid L. & Holmås, Tor Helge, 2006. "Regulation and Pricing of Pharmaceuticals: Reference Pricing or Price Cap Regulation?," Working Papers in Economics 14/06, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Ernst R. Berndt, 2002. "Pharmaceuticals in U.S. Health Care: Determinants of Quantity and Price," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(4), pages 45-66, Fall.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521747387.
- Richard G. Frank & David S. Salkever, 1997. "Generic Entry and the Pricing of Pharmaceuticals," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 75-90, 03.
- Grabowski, Henry G & Vernon, John M, 1992. "Brand Loyalty, Entry, and Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals after the 1984 Drug Act," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(2), pages 331-50, October.
- Tracy L. Regan, 2007.
"Generic entry, price competition, and market segmentation in the prescription drug market,"
2010-7, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Regan, Tracy L., 2008. "Generic entry, price competition, and market segmentation in the prescription drug market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 930-948, July.
- Judith K. Hellerstein, 1998. "The Importance of the Physician in the Generic Versus Trade-Name Prescription Decision," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(1), pages 108-136, Spring.
- Richard G. Frank & David S. Salkever, 1995. "Generic Entry and the Pricing of Pharmaceuticals," NBER Working Papers 5306, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gorecki, Paul K. & Nolan, Anne & Brick, Aoife & Lyons, Seán, 2012. "Pharmaceuticals Delivery in Ireland. Getting a Bigger Bang for the Buck," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number RS24, September.
- Brick, Aoife & Gorecki, Paul K. & Nolan, Anne, 2013. "Ireland: Pharmaceutical Prices, Prescribing Practices and Usage of Generics in a Comparative Context," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number RS32, September.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Dalen, Dag Morten & Holmås, Tor Helge, 2013. "Diffusion of Pharmaceuticals: Cross-Country Evidence of Anti-TNF drugs," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 7/2013, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.