External productivity and utility effects of city airports
AbstractThis paper uses a micro-level data set for residential and commercial property transactions to investigate external utility and productivity effects for three (city) airports in Berlin, Germany in a spatial hedonic analysis. We find strong evidence of adverse noise effects on property prices and a discontinuity at approximately 55dB. Marginal price effects decrease significantly in the presence of alternative noise sources, which can lead to biased estimates if the interaction effect is not accounted for appropriately. Given that there is less evidence of positive accessibility effects, our result questions the justification for locating airports in city centres.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library in its series LSE Research Online Documents on Economics with number 33897.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Regional Studies, 2011, 47(4), pp. 508-529. ISSN: 0034-3404
Other versions of this item:
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2013. "External Productivity and Utility Effects of City Airports," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(4), pages 508-529, April.
- N0 - Economic History - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Volker Nitsch, 2009. "Fly or Cry: Is Airport Noise Costly?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2732, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Substitutability and Complementarity of Urban Amenities: External Effects of Built Heritage in Berlin," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 38(2), pages 285-323.
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & B.E. Baarsma, 2004.
"Using Happiness Surveys to value Intangibles; the Case of Airport Noise,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-024/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bernard M. S. van Praag & Barbara E. Baarsma, 2005. "Using Happiness Surveys to Value Intangibles: The Case of Airport Noise," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(500), pages 224-246, 01.
- van Praag, Bernard M. S. & Baarsma, Barbara E., 2004. "Using Happiness Surveys to Value Intangibles: The Case of Airport Noise," IZA Discussion Papers 1096, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & Barbara E. Baarsma, 2004. "Using Happiness Surveys to Value Intangibles: The Case of Airport Noise," CESifo Working Paper Series 1163, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kim, Chong Won & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 1998.
"Measuring The Benefits Of Air Quality Improvement: A Spatial Hedonic Approach,"
1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT
20959, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Won Kim, Chong & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 2003. "Measuring the benefits of air quality improvement: a spatial hedonic approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Michael Lokshin, 2006. "Difference-based semiparametric estimation of partial linear regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(3), pages 377-383, September.
- N. Edward Coulson & Michael L. Lahr, 2005. "Gracing the Land of Elvis and Beale Street: Historic Designation and Property Values in Memphis," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 487-507, 09.
- Mieszkowski, Peter & Saper, Arthur M., 1978. "An estimate of the effects of airport noise on property values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 425-440, October.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2013.
"Homevoters vs. leasevoters: a spatial analysis of airport effects,"
2013/15, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2013. "Homevoters vs. Leasevoters: A Spatial Analysis of Airport Effects," CESifo Working Paper Series 4301, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dakshina De Silva & Caroline Elliott & Robert Simmons, 2013. "Restaurant wars," Working Papers 44312700, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Andreas Mense & Konstantin Kholodilin, 2014. "Noise expectations and house prices: the reaction of property prices to an airport expansion," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 763-797, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucy Ayre).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.