Household Environmental Attitudes and Energy Efficiency in Buildings: Evidence from Spanish Data
AbstractBuildings are an essential driver of current and future energy consumption and associated emissions with large energy-efficiency (EE) improvement potentials in both emerging and developed countries. Yet, especially in this sector, there are several and persistent barriers that prevent the attainment of EE gains. With a revealed-preferences approach from a 2008 national representative survey of Spanish households, we analyze some determinants of EE investment and behavior. In particular, our discrete-choice logit model empirically determines whether Spanish households that indicated to be concerned with the environment, or show eco-friendly practices, are more likely to invest in EE and to incorporate EE matters into their daily consumption decisions. Results suggest that pro-environmental attitudes indeed have positive effects on energy consumption habits and low-cost EE investments. Such findings, together with other information provided by the paper, may be useful for the design and implementation of future EE policies in this area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics for Energy in its series Working Papers with number fa08-2012.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.eforenergy.org
Barriers; environment; concern; policies; investment; behavior;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
- Q48 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Government Policy
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Gillingham & Richard G. Newell & Karen Palmer, 2009.
"Energy Efficiency Economics and Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
15031, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Young, Denise & Maruejols, Lucie, 2010.
"Split Incentives and Energy Efficiency in Canadian Multi-Family Dwellings,"
2010-18, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Maruejols, Lucie & Young, Denise, 2011. "Split incentives and energy efficiency in Canadian multi-family dwellings," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3655-3668, June.
- Lange, Ian & Moro, Mirko & Traynor, Laura, 2012.
"Green Hypocrisy?: Environmental Attitudes and Residential Space Heating Expenditure,"
Stirling Economics Discussion Papers
2012-12, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Laura Traynor & Ian A. Lange & Mirko Moro, 2012. "Green Hypocrisy?: Environmental Attitudes and Residential Space Heating Expenditure," CESifo Working Paper Series 3852, CESifo Group Munich.
- Levinson, Arik & Niemann, Scott, 2004.
"Energy use by apartment tenants when landlords pay for utilities,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 51-75, March.
- Arik Levinson, 2001. "Energy Use By Apartment Tenants When Landlords Pay For Utilities," Working Papers gueconwpa~01-01-09, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- van den Bergh, Jeroen C.J.M., 2008. "Environmental regulation of households: An empirical review of economic and psychological factors," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 559-574, July.
- Friedman, David, 1987. "Cold Houses in Warm Climates and Vice Versa: A Paradox of Rational Heating," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(5), pages 1089-97, October.
- Xavier Labandeira Villot & Pedro Linares, 2009.
"Energy Efficiency: Economics and Policy,"
- Dewees, Donald N & Wilson, Thomas A, 1990. "Cold Houses and Warm Climates Revisited: On Keeping Warm in Chicago, or Paradox Lost: Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 656-63, June.
- Kotchen, Matthew J. & Moore, Michael R., 2007.
"Private provision of environmental public goods: Household participation in green-electricity programs,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Matthew J. Kotchen & Michael R. Moore, 2004. "Private Provision of Environmental Public Goods: Household Participation in Green-Electricity Programs," Department of Economics Working Papers 2004-07, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Lucas W. Davis, 2010.
"Evaluating the Slow Adoption of Energy Efficient Investments: Are Renters Less Likely to Have Energy Efficient Appliances?,"
NBER Working Papers
16114, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas W. Davis, 2011. "Evaluating the Slow Adoption of Energy Efficient Investments: Are Renters Less Likely to Have Energy Efficient Appliances?," NBER Chapters, in: The Design and Implementation of US Climate Policy, pages 301-316 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Gillingham, Matthew Harding, and David Rapson, 2012. "Split Incentives in Residential Energy Consumption," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2).
- Nair, Gireesh & Gustavsson, Leif & Mahapatra, Krushna, 2010. "Factors influencing energy efficiency investments in existing Swedish residential buildings," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 2956-2963, June.
- Alberto Gago & Michael Hanemann & Xavier Labandeira & Ana Ramos, 2012. "Climate Change, Buildings and Energy Prices," Working Papers fa04-2012, Economics for Energy.
- Ek, Kristina & Söderholm, Patrik, 2010. "The devil is in the details: Household electricity saving behavior and the role of information," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 1578-1587, March.
- Kahn, Matthew E., 2007. "Do greens drive Hummers or hybrids? Environmental ideology as a determinant of consumer choice," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 129-145, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pablo Pintos).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.