Investment and Dividends under Irreversibility and Financial Constraints
AbstractResearch finds that firms' investment and dividend policies are distorted by irreversibility and finance constraints. Whereas the existing literature examines these features separately, this paper considers their interaction. The main theoretical result concerns the separation of the investment and payout thresholds. The ordering of investment and distribution activities is endogenously determined and depends on the levels of capacity and cash balances in a manner consistent with a life- cycle interpretation of firm behaviour. The concavity of the revenue function is capital stock and the complementarily of the constraints drive these results. Important ramifications for empirical work on investment are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh in its series ESE Discussion Papers with number 55.
Date of creation: Apr 2004
Date of revision:
Investment; dividend policy; irreversibility; financial constraints;
Other versions of this item:
- Holt, Richard W. P., 2003. "Investment and dividends under irreversibility and financial constraints," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 467-502, January.
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice and Growth, Financing, Investment, and Capacity
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
- G35 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Payout Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-04-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2004-04-25 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2004-04-25 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1986.
"Irreversible investment, capacity choice, and the value of the firm,"
1802-86., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1988. "Irreversible Investment, Capacity Choice, and the Value of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 969-85, December.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1986. "Irreversible Investment, Capacity Choice, and the Value of the Firm," NBER Working Papers 1980, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scaramozzino, Pasquale, 1997. "Investment Irreversibility and Finance Constraints," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(1), pages 89-108, February.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1998. "Irreversible investment," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Abel, Andrew B & Eberly, Janice C, 1996.
"Optimal Investment with Costly Reversibility,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(4), pages 581-93, October.
- Eberly, Janice C. & Van Mieghem, Jan A., 1997. "Multi-factor Dynamic Investment under Uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 345-387, August.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Stiglitz, Joseph, 2000. "Credit and equity rationing in markets with adverse selection," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 281-304, February.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Gerard A. Pfann, 1996.
"Adjustment Costs in Factor Demand,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 34(3), pages 1264-1292, September.
- Milne, Alistair & Robertson, Donald, 1996. "Firm behaviour under the threat of liquidation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(8), pages 1427-1449, August.
- Carruth, Alan & Dickerson, Andrew & Henley, Andrew, 2000.
" What Do We Know about Investment under Uncertainty?,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 119-53, April.
- Alan Carruth & Andy Dickerson & Andrew Henley, 1998. "What Do We Know About Investment Under Uncertainty?," Studies in Economics 9804, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Caballero, Ricardo J., 1999.
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 813-862
- Guiso, Luigi & Parigi, Giuseppe, 1996.
"Investment and Demand Uncertainty,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1497, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sarkar, Sudipto, 2000. "On the investment-uncertainty relationship in a real options model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 219-225, February.
- Miller, Merton H & Rock, Kevin, 1985. " Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1031-51, September.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Andres Solimano, 1993.
"Economic Instability and Aggregate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
4380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andres, 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1148, The World Bank.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andrés., 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Working papers 3552-93., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1997.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
5996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2007:i:10:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christian Bayer, 2004.
"Aggregate investment dynamics when firms face fixed investment cost and capital market imperfections,"
- Christian Bayer, 2001. "Aggregate investment dynamics when firms face fixed investment cost and capital market imperfections," Discussion Papers in Economics 01_13, University of Dortmund, Department of Economics.
- Christian Bayer, 2004. "Aggregate investment dynamics when firms face fixed investment cost and capital market imperfections," Econometrics 0405001, EconWPA.
- Caggese, Andrea, 2007.
"Financing constraints, irreversibility, and investment dynamics,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 2102-2130, October.
- Andrea Caggese, 2001. "Financing constraints, irreversibility and investment dynamics," Economics Working Papers 1008, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 2006.
- Andrea Caggese, 2003. "Financing Constraints, Irreversibility, and Investment Dynamics," FMG Discussion Papers dp440, Financial Markets Group.
- Andrea Caggese, 2001. "Financing Constraints, Irreversibility, and Investment Dynamics," Working Papers 53, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Christian Bayer, 2004.
"On the Interaction of Financial Frictions and Fixed Capital Adjustment Costs: Evidence from a Panel of German Firms,"
- Bayer, Christian, 2008. "On the interaction of financial frictions and fixed capital adjustment costs: Evidence from a panel of German firms," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 3538-3559, November.
- Kaoru Hosono & Masaki Hotei & Chie Umezaki, 2013. "External Finance Constraints and the Timing of Investment Spikes," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 9(2), pages 365-404, March.
- Bayer, Christian, 2006. "Investment dynamics with fixed capital adjustment cost and capital market imperfections," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 1909-1947, November.
- Samu Peura & Esa Jokivuolle, 2004. "Simulation-based stress testing of banks’ regulatory capital adequacy," Finance 0405003, EconWPA.
- Peura, Samu & Jokivuolle, Esa, 2003. "Simulation-based stress testing of banks’ regulatory capital adequacy," Research Discussion Papers 4/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Fernando Alexandre & Pedro Bação, 2005. "Monetary policy and asset prices: the investment channel," NIPE Working Papers 3/2005, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Barbara Pfeffer, 2008. "FDI and FPI - Strategic Complements?," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200812, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- McGee, M. Kevin, 2010. "Twice constrained investment under uncertainty: A mixed time model," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 110-120, June.
- Alessandra Guariglia & John Tsoukalas & Serafeim Tsoukas, . "Investment, irreversibility, and financing constraints in transition economies," Discussion Papers 10/03, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Vercammen, James, 2003. "A Stochastic Dynamic Programming Model Of Direct Subsidy Payments And Agricultural Investment," Working Papers 15847, University of British Columbia, Food and Resource Economics.
- Richard Holt, 2007. "Investment, irreversibility and financial imperfections: the rush to invest and the option to wait," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(10), pages 1-10.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.