On the Path to Trade Liberalization: Political Regimes in International Trade Negotiations
AbstractThe number of free trade agreements has increased substantially since 1980 despite efforts to promote multilateral trade liberalization. While there is evidence on the determinants of FTA formation, still little is known on the processing of trade agreements, particularly regarding the pre-implementation duration. This paper fills the research gap by using event data on the proposal, the negotiation, the signing, and the implementation of trade agreements. Duration analysis is employed to examine the connection between regime types and the lengths of the negotiation and the ratification stages. The results support the claim that higher levels of democratization and political constraints are associated with delays in the implementation of an agreement. This is primarily observable in the ratification stage. Moreover, I detect significantly prolonged negotiation talks and ratifications if the European Union participates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin with number 1245.
Length: 47 p.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Free trade agreements; international cooperation; duration analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2012-10-06 (International Trade)
- NEP-POL-2012-10-06 (Positive Political Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Clarke, G. & Groff, A. & Keefer , P. & Walsh, P., 2001. "New tools in comparative political economy: The database of political institutions," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125517, Tilburg University.
- Handley, Kyle & Limão, Nuno, 2012.
"Trade and Investment under Policy Uncertainty: Theory and Firm Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8798, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kyle Handley & Nuno Limão, 2012. "Trade and Investment under Policy Uncertainty: Theory and Firm Evidence," NBER Working Papers 17790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mathias Thoenig & Thierry Mayer & Philippe Martin, 2010.
"The geography of conflicts and free trade agreements,"
Sciences Po publications
7740, Sciences Po.
- Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Thoenig, Mathias, 2010. "The geography of conflicts and free trade agreements," CEPR Discussion Papers 7740, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Thoenig, Mathias, 2010. "The geography of conflicts and free trade agreements," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1019, CEPREMAP.
- Bergin, Paul R. & Lin, Ching-Yi, 2012.
"The dynamic effects of a currency union on trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 191-204.
- Ching-Yi Lin & Paul Bergin, 2011. "The Dynamic Effects of Currency Union on Trade," 2011 Meeting Papers 291, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bergin, Paul R; Lin, Ching Yi, 2010. "The Dynamic Effects of Currency Union on Trade," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 11, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Paul Bergin & Ching-Yi Lin, 2010. "The Dynamic Effects of Currency Union on Trade," NBER Working Papers 16259, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paola Conconi & Giovanni Facchini & Maurizio Zanardi, 2011.
"Policymakers’ Horizon and Trade Reforms,"
Development Working Papers
311, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Horn, Henrik & Mavroidis, Petros C & Sapir, André, 2009.
"Beyond the WTO? An Anatomy of EU and US Preferential Trade Agreements,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7317, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henrik Horn & Petros C. Mavroidis & AndrÃ© Sapir, . "Beyond the WTO? An anatomy of EU and US preferential trade agreements," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 238, December.
- Henrik Horn & Petros C. Mavroidis & André Sapir, 2010. "Beyond the WTO? An Anatomy of EU and US Preferential Trade Agreements," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(11), pages 1565-1588, November.
- Baier, Scott L. & Bergstrand, Jeffrey H., 2004. "Economic determinants of free trade agreements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 29-63, October.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Strange, William C, 1996. "Investment Lags," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 610-22, June.
- Sebenius, James K., 1983. "Negotiation arithmetic: adding and subtracting issues and parties," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(02), pages 281-316, March.
- Mansfield, Edward D. & Milner, Helen V. & Rosendorff, B. Peter, 2002. "Why Democracies Cooperate More: Electoral Control and International Trade Agreements," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 56(03), pages 477-513, June.
- Mario Cleves & William W. Gould & Roberto G. Gutierrez & Yulia Marchenko, 2010. "An Introduction to Survival Analysis Using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 3, number saus3, July.
- Florian Mölders & Ulrich Volz, 2011. "Trade creation and the status of FTAs: empirical evidence from East Asia," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 147(3), pages 429-456, September.
- Roberto G. Gutierrez, 2002. "Parametric frailty and shared frailty survival models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(1), pages 22-44, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.