Incentives for Transmission Investment in the PJM Electricity Market: FTRs or Regulation (or Both?)
AbstractThis paper presents an application of a mechanism that provides incentives to promote transmission network expansion in the area of the US electric system known as PJM. The applied mechanism combines the merchant and regulatory approaches to attract investment into transmission grids. It is based on rebalancing a two-part tariff in the framework of a wholesale electricity market with locational pricing. The expansion of the network is carried out through the sale of financial transmission rights for the congested lines. The mechanism is tested for 14-node and 17-node geographical coverage areas of PJM. Under Laspeyres weights, it is shown that prices converge to the marginal cost of generation, the congestion rent decreases, and the total social welfare increases. The mechanism is shown to adjust prices effectively given either non-peak or peak demand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin with number 1026.
Length: 27 p.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: Utilities Policy 19 (2011), 1, 3-13
Electricity transmission expansion; incentive regulation; PJM;
Other versions of this item:
- Rosellón, Juan & Myslíková, Zdenka & Zenón, Eric, 2011. "Incentives for transmission investment in the PJM electricity market: FTRs or regulation (or both?)," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 3-13, January.
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L91 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Transportation: General
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2010-07-10 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-REG-2010-07-10 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joskow, P.L., 2004.
"Transmission Policy in the United States,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0454, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tarjei Kristiansen & Juan Rosellón, 2006. "A Merchant Mechanism for Electricity Transmission Expansion," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 167-193, 03.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 2001. "Price Regulation for Independent Transmission Companies," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 141-65, September.
- Rosellon, Juan & Weigt, Hannes, 2008.
"A Dynamic Incentive Mechanism for Transmission Expansion in Electricity Networks – Theory, Modeling and Application,"
22843, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Juan Rosell�n & Hannes Weigt, 2011. "A Dynamic Incentive Mechanism for Transmission Expansion in Electricity Networks: Theory, Modeling, and Application," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 119-148.
- Juan Rosellón & Hannes Weigt, 2010. "A Dynamic Incentive Mechanism for Transmission Expansion in Electricity Networks: Theory, Modeling, and Application," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1019, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Robert Wilson, 2002. "Architecture of Power Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1299-1340, July.
- Crew, Michael A & Fernando, Chitru S & Kleindorfer, Paul R, 1995. "The Theory of Peak-Load Pricing: A Survey," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 215-48, November.
- Erix Ruiz & Juan Rosellón, 2011.
"Transmission Investment in the Peruvian Electricity Market: Theory and Applications,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1171, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ruiz, Erix & Rosellón, Juan, 2012. "Transmission investment in the Peruvian electricity market: Theory and applications," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 238-245.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.