Transmission investment in the Peruvian electricity market: Theory and applications
AbstractThis research presents an application of the mechanism in Hogan et al. (2010) (HRV) to promote electricity transmission network expansion in the Peruvian electricity transmission system known as SEIN (Sistema Eléctrico Interconectado Nacional). The HRV mechanism combines the merchant and regulatory approaches to promote investment into transmission grids. This mechanism gives incentives for efficient investment in expansion of the network by rebalancing over time the fixed and variable charges of a two-part tariff in the framework of a wholesale electricity market with locational pricing. The expansion of the network is carried out through the sale of Financial Transmission Rights (FTRs) for the congested lines. The mechanism is applied for 103 nodes of the SEIN using detailed characteristics of generators, nodes and transmission lines. Under Laspeyres weights and linear cost of expansion of transmission capacity, it is shown that prices converge to lower price levels as a result of increased transmission capacity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 47 (2012)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Electricity transmission expansion; Incentive regulation; Peru;
Other versions of this item:
- Erix Ruiz & Juan Rosellón, 2011. "Transmission Investment in the Peruvian Electricity Market: Theory and Applications," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1171, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L91 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Transportation: General
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Rosellón & Zdenka Mysliková & Eric Zenón, 2010.
"Incentives for Transmission Investment in the PJM Electricity Market: FTRs or Regulation (or Both?),"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1026, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Rosellón, Juan & Myslíková, Zdenka & Zenón, Eric, 2011. "Incentives for transmission investment in the PJM electricity market: FTRs or regulation (or both?)," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 2001. "Price Regulation for Independent Transmission Companies," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 141-65, September.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2006.
"Electricity Transmission Pricing and Performance-based Regulation,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 97-126.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2005. "Electricity Transmission Pricing and Performance-Based Regulation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1474, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rosellon, Juan & Weigt, Hannes, 2008.
"A Dynamic Incentive Mechanism for Transmission Expansion in Electricity Networks – Theory, Modeling and Application,"
22843, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Juan Rosell�n & Hannes Weigt, 2011. "A Dynamic Incentive Mechanism for Transmission Expansion in Electricity Networks: Theory, Modeling, and Application," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 119-148.
- Juan Rosellón & Hannes Weigt, 2010. "A Dynamic Incentive Mechanism for Transmission Expansion in Electricity Networks: Theory, Modeling, and Application," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1019, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- William Hogan & Juan Rosellón & Ingo Vogelsang, 2010.
"Toward a Combined Merchant-Regulatory Mechanism for Electricity Transmission Expansion,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1025, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- William Hogan & Juan Rosellón & Ingo Vogelsang, 2010. "Toward a combined merchant-regulatory mechanism for electricity transmission expansion," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 113-143, October.
- Jonas Egerer & Juan Rosellón & Wolf-Peter Schill, 2013. "Power System Transformation towards Renewables: An Evaluation of Regulatory Approaches for Network Expansion," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1312, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.