Globalization and Technical Progress: Channels of Reciprocal Interaction A Literature Review
AbstractIn the center of this paper there are two questions: ’Is it true that globalization is to a crucial degree dependant on technical innovation?’ and ’Can globalization be regarded as a determinant of economic growth and technical progress?’. To answer these questions the paper provides a literature review of the main theoretical and empirical approaches and tries to give a classification and systematization scheme of the manifold contributions. Especially the latter question as will be shown, reaches divers aspects of economic theory, all in search for the influences of international relations on a country’s economic performance. There seems to be no doubt that they exist but no clear answer how important i.e. strong and long-ranging they are, has been given yet - neither empirically and nor theoretically.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade in its series DEGIT Conference Papers with number c013_011.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision:
drivers of international integration; technical progress; static and dynamic growth effects;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F20 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - General
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lipsey, Richard G. & Carlaw, Kenneth I. & Bekar, Clifford T., 2005. "Economic Transformations: General Purpose Technologies and Long-Term Economic Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199290895.
- Anja Rohwer, 2008. "Kann man Globalisierung messen? Ein Vergleich zweier unterschiedlicher Indizes zur Messung der Globalisierung," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 61(10), pages 31-37, 05.
- Nasim Shah Shirazi & Turkhan Ali Abdul Manap, 2004. "Exports and Economic Growth Nexus: The Case of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 563-581.
- Torsten SlÃ¸k & Michael Klein & Luca Antonio Ricci & Hali J. Edison, 2002.
"Capital Account Liberalization and Economic Performance: Survey and Synthesis,"
IMF Working Papers
02/120, International Monetary Fund.
- Hali J. Edison & Michael W. Klein & Luca Antonio Ricci & Torsten Sløk, 2004. "Capital Account Liberalization and Economic Performance: Survey and Synthesis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(2), pages 2.
- Hali J. Edison & Michael W. Klein & Luca Ricci & Torsten Sloek, 2002. "Capital Account Liberalization and Economic Performance: Survey and Synthesis," NBER Working Papers 9100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bulent Unel, .
"Technology Diffusion through Trade with Heterogeneous Firms,"
Departmental Working Papers
2006-15, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Bulent Unel, 2010. "Technology Diffusion through Trade with Heterogeneous Firms," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 465-481, 08.
- Chanda, Areendam, 2005.
"The influence of capital controls on long run growth: Where and how much?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 441-466, August.
- Areendam Chanda, 2002. "The Influence of Capital Controls on Long Run Growth: Where and How Much?," International Finance 0201001, EconWPA.
- Baldwin, Richard & Robert-Nicoud, Frédéric, 2005.
"Trade and Growth with Heterogeneous Firms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4965, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Frédéric Robert-Nicoud, 2006. "Trade and Growth with Heterogenous Firms," NBER Working Papers 12326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Frédéric Robert-Nicoud, 2006. "Trade and Growth with Heterogeneous Firms," CEP Discussion Papers dp0727, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Baldwin, Richard & Robert-Nicoud, Frédéric, 2006. "Trade and Growth with Heterogenous Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 5563, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Mario Zejan, 1994. "What Explains Developing Country Growth?," NBER Working Papers 4132, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Balassa, Bela, 1985. "Exports, policy choices, and economic growth in developing countries after the 1973 oil shock," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 23-35.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1991.
"Trade Orientation, Distortions and Growth in Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3716, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1992. "Trade orientation, distortions and growth in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 31-57, July.
- Paula Bustos, 2010. "Trade Liberalization, Technology and Skill Upgrading. Evidence from Argentina," 2010 Meeting Papers 937, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- J Benson Durham, . "A Survey of the Econometric Literature on the Real Effects of International Capital Flows in Lower Income Countries," QEH Working Papers qehwps50, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Michaely, Michael, 1977. "Exports and growth : An empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 49-53, February.
- Syrquin, Moshe & Chenery, Hollis, 1989. "Three decades of industrialization," MPRA Paper 32771, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michaela Rank).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.