The impact of globalization on income distribution: the Korean experience
AbstractThe paper examines the impact of changes in trade values and FDI inflows on the Gini coefficients for Korea. The empirical evidence shows that the concerned variables can, in general, be assumed to be integrated of order one. Johansen-Juselius cointegration tests reveal that the Gini coefficients tend to increase with trade liberalization measures and FDI inflows. That is, the progress of globalization tends to deteriorate the situation of income inequalities in Korea, which supports the Feenstra-Hanson (1997) hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 9 (2002)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baotai Wang & Ajit Dayanandan & Xiaofei Tian, 2008. "The Impact of Economic Globalization on Income Distribution: Empirical Evidence in China," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(35), pages 1-8.
- Natalia Melgar & Juliette Milgram & Máximo Rossi, 2009. "The role of macroeconomic performance in individual’s attitudes towards protectionism," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0809, Department of Economics - dECON.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2008:i:35:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nuno Carlos Leitão, 2013. "Cultural Globalization and Economic Growth," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 16(47), pages 17-28, March.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Tiwari, Aviral & Reza, Sherafatian-Jahromi, 2012. "Financial Development and Income Inequality: Is there any Financial Kuznets curve in Iran?," MPRA Paper 40899, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Aug 2012.
- Axel Dreher, 2005.
"Does Globalization Affect Growth? Evidence from a new Index of Globalization,"
TWI Research Paper Series
6, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universität Konstanz.
- Axel Dreher, 2006. "Does globalization affect growth? Evidence from a new index of globalization," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1091-1110.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.